Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate Fraud

Options
  • 27-08-2007 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hmmm, I have a dilemma. Recently, I discovered that my housemate is not in fact a very nice person. Aside from this, hes boasted several times that he is on the dole, while at the same time he works cash-in-hand for a local pub.
    Apparently hes saving up to go to Australia. And hes making loads because he works all the time.
    Now hes an ass-hole.
    So it would give me immense satisfaction to report him.
    And I'm moving out so that would be no problem.
    But would that bring me down to his level? And sure he'l be gone from the country in a couple of months (bringing with him our tax money..)
    But hes an ass-hole and he deserves it.

What do ye think? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

He's breaking the law simple as - Just report him.

You'll get people here trolling I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You wouldn't be brining yourself down to his level at all by reporting him. The guy is just a leecher plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Life's to short, just get on with your own.
    Will you really feel any better for doing it?, what if you do shop him and he finds out it was you that did it?,

Its my experience that chancers like this eventually slip and life/karma/whatever catches up with them and bites them in the ass.

Your moving out of the place on to greener pastures, just move on and forget about this waster.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I say report him. A lot of people who are on the dole do not need to be, it's actually one of my pet hates. He's committing benefit fraud and should be stopped.

If he went into the post office and stole €200 a week from the cash register you would be straight on the phone to the guards. How is this any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Why not get a mate to phone him pretending to be from Social Welfare? That way you're not reporting him, but might give him a kick up the backside and scare him into signing off .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Dead right, wouldn't be bothered reporting him. Why don't you just say to his face that we know you're working in the pub or better still walk in and order a drink..........??

You're better of letting it slide, people break the law everyday.....

Sounds like he's really annoying you too? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think reporting him makes you look even worse then him. Reporting just because he did something bad too you and now you dont like him is pretty petty and childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Blackmail?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

report him its your money he is stealing and mine for that matter **** him

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from Work/Jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 saff cosworth

guy next door got caught for fraud of over 2k , only made pay a fiver a week,
    he stoped paying.. now he has his girlfriend claming for him, he's not bothered to go look for a job, even when i had one for him..

DOB HIM IN....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fudgesickle

Hehe, yeah. I'm just a wee bit bitter. But I don't think what hes doing is right. I just don't see why there should be different rules for him, even though I would be less inclined to report him if he wasn't an asshole. Hmmm, maybe I should wait till my temper cools down....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

You can report him anonamously if you wish. He is breaking the law by doing what he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whoyou

I believe what goes round comes round, he'll get caught for something much worse in time to come.

Even if he is an asshole, you don't want to bring bad karma on yourself by getting him caught.

I think go with the friend putting the ****s up him with a pretend phonecall from the Social.

To be honest people can't depend on Karma and impersonating a social welfare officer is a serious matter indeed. If you make an anonamous report with the details of the situation, he will not know you reported him. Other wise he will keep doing what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Report him, doesn't matter that he's an asshole, the thing is this thing spreads like wildfire, he'll have a couple of his friends doing it and then they'll have the same, this is how these things happen.

Also remember it's your money he has in his pocket. For every day you don't report it you should hand him another 20 euro.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

In general the Irish do not like informers and it is difficult to say what to do in this situation.
    I'd call Social Welfare and let them know his name, where he works and that you think he is drawing the dole.
    If they look for your details they may tell him who you are and then you'd be in the s**t. Refuse to give them your name etc and then hang up. They should be able to get him by observing his movements for a while and see him getting paid etc. at his job. If they are any good at this stuff they should be able to press a case against him or at least stop further claims in future.
    He is really competing UNFAIRLY with other bar staff who may be working for a lot less than they need because it is nearly expected in these sort of casual jobs that you do a bit of fiddling to make ends meet. Until this and other casual sectors are policed rigourously by social welfare and the public things won't improve for the honest worker...............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

definitely report him. it's not fair on the rest of us. the fact that he is a bollox will just make it extra sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It is a much more serious offence for the employer to be employing a social welfare claimant. You could also call and/or report the publican!!

I hate this sleazy black economy and we all have a part to bring it down.

He should be reported. He's a drain on the country's resources. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

He should be reported. He's a drain on the country's resources. :mad:

How times have changed, eh ? Was not too long ago that this guy would have been lauded for getting one over on the tax man. Still, different times now, and there is no excuse for ripping off taxpayers who play by the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Apparently hes saving up to go to Australia

Wait until he's bought his ticket to Austrailia, then report him two weeks before his flight. You may get a nice ticket to Oz at a greatly discounted rate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I cannot stress how important it is not to give your own name when doing this. The cops will not protect you if the dodger or his dodgy employers send the boys around to wreck your car............
    I know from bitter experience.

As i said before the report can be anonamous. I' am going to lock this thread as i feel that pretty much everything on this subject has been said. Thanks

Mrs M.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement