Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen gone blank on Compaq Presario M2000

Options
  • 27-08-2007 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

I have a laptop here, Windows XP.

The screen has gone compeltely blank, when I turn on the laptop I can't see anything (ie. BIOS/Start-up). When windows loads I can just about make out the icon's.

I'm pretty certain this is a hardware issue, maybe the 'light' on the screen is knackered? Anyone got any ideas? And if needs be, where would I find a replacment screen

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭echoindia756

Ok, it sounds like it's a dead screen, this happens sometimes and you will more than likely need to get a replacement screen, sometimes these screens are a rip off and you'd be better off to get a new laptop. I recommend you bring it to a local PC World health centre or a local computer repair shop, they'll tell you whats wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ok, it sounds like it's a dead screen, this happens sometimes and you will more than likely need to get a replacement screen, sometimes these screens are a rip off and you'd be better off to get a new laptop. I recommend you bring it to a local PC World health centre or a local computer repair shop, they'll tell you whats wrong.

PC World will charge about €70 to just look at the thing. It's for my nephew's father, just trying to get him some advise. 70eur to look at a laptop is a ripoff considering I can get a new screen for £80 sterling

JohnCleary wrote:
    PC World will charge about €70 to just look at the thing. It's for my nephew's father, just trying to get him some advise. 70eur to look at a laptop is a ripoff considering I can get a new screen for £80 sterling

Ok, do you have a second monitor in the house? This is a simple test just to see if it's the hardware in the laptop or the actual screen. If you have another monitor, CRT, LCD, whatever, plug it into the laptop, there should be DVI and VGA ports on the back. Then try booting it up again. Let me know how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, it sounds like it's a dead screen, this happens sometimes and you will more than likely need to get a replacement screen,

On the contrary, it sounds more like a dead backlight, given that he can actually see something when it boots up.

I recommend you bring it to a local PC World health centre or a local computer repair shop, they'll tell you whats wrong.

I recommend you stay well clear of PC World, regular rip-off merchants.

Ok, forget PC World.

• Advertisement

It's the backlight that's gone guys, sorry should have mentioned that.

Thing is, I don't know if it's the backlight or inverter. Anyone got any guesstimate how much/where I could pick these up? I'm Googleing atm but any expert advise much appreciated

JohnCleary wrote:
    Thing is, I don't know if it's the backlight or inverter. Anyone got any guesstimate how much/where I could pick these up? I'm Googleing atm but any expert advise much appreciated

I'm far from an expert on these matters, but I know somebody who ran into the same problem and found an inverter on E-bay. AFAIR, it was less than €100. I don't know if it is a big deal to fit, or what's involved, but I'm sure if they are being sold, they can be replaced (this is coming from somebody who opened his 3-month old laptop to upgrade the processor :D).

I'll send her an e-mail or PM to get the details.

Cheers tom_dunne, will wait to hear from you!

Hey John, I have been doing some research and I found this website:
    http://www.techexcess.net/m2000_150.aspx

It has screens especially for your laptop. Check it out.

I also found this website, some useful info here:
    http://www.laptoprepair1.co.uk/laptop-lcd-backlight-repair.html

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

tom dunne wrote:
    I'm far from an expert on these matters, but I know somebody who ran into the same problem and found an inverter on E-bay. AFAIR, it was less than €100. I don't know if it is a big deal to fit, or what's involved, but I'm sure if they are being sold, they can be replaced (this is coming from somebody who opened his 3-month old laptop to upgrade the processor :D).

I'll send her an e-mail or PM to get the details.

yeah I was able to souce a one off Ebay, for my laptop it was about $35, I have a toshiba Satellite 1000. seems to be a lot of them on it for different laptops so its worth a search on it, havent gotten around to getting it yet mind u, as i'm using an external screen with it and have access to another laptop, so not in a major rush to get it fixed :)

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    Cheers tom_dunne, will wait to hear from you!

You just have. :D

Advertisement