Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amp is dead 1 month after power surge hit it

Options
  • 27-08-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Have Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 speaker system for my PC. A power surge happened about a month ago and blew my PC power supply. Also center speaker in system started giving a crackle.

4 days ago I turned the system on and the volume light went from zero to max the speakers all gave a loud noise and then gone. My speaker system is dead :( I reckon it was from damage caused by the initial power surge which weakened a component or two.

Of course I have everything running on surge protectors now :rolleyes: But the speaker system is expensive and good so I would like to repair if possible

Question: Where would be a good place to get it repaired in Dub? I've google'd around but can't find a city center place for repairs.

Grateful for all help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

How the fúck did Amp last a month after being hit by a powersurge!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Well the unit was in powered off state but it was plugged in with the Power supply turned on. There's a fairly clunky relay switch which engages and disengages when turning on and off.

So having thought about it a bit more I'm even more confident that the damage could be limited to the power supply.

Just need to find somewhere good to take a look and not charge me the earth to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Home contents insurance ftw.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

If you think its the amp's power supply try these http://www.psra.ie/ we get power supplies(PC and Telecoms equipment) repaired there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Thanks you. You win award for first person to answer the question.

I've left it in with a repair shop in Rathmines. It's confirmed that it's the power supply. More specifically a chip in the power supply. So they trying to find one but I'm not 100% that they'll be able to source one. Might be a creative branded part.

Of course stupid Creative would have you ship back he amp/sub woofer plus all satellite speakers if I wanted to get it fixed through them.

Anyway here's hoping that it can be fixed. Otherwise I might have 6 speakers with no amp :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidlynch2016

Hi Mate, I also have a set of s750 had the same problem power tripped and the green light just started pulsing, I opened mine up for a Quick Look and the second units seem to be swelled.

how did you get on with your own?

Advertisement