Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Programme

Options
  • 27-08-2007 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

just a bit of background. I have starting back swimming recently, I have never really been a mad swimming trainer, was fit from playing soccer, but got some bad knee injuries and had to give the soccer up. I'm carrying a bit of weight at the moment, could do with loosing about a stone, and can't do much running cause of the knee.

So, I am looking for a swimming programme that will help shed to few pounds and tone up a bit. I started back last week and can do about 60 lengths in 35 mins based on the following:

5*4 lengths (20 sec interval after each set)
    10*2 lenghts (20 sec interval after each set)
    5*4 lengths (20 sec interval after each set)

I am just wondering what I should be doing to increase this, and also will this help me in the weight loss department. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

It's better if you include distance. I'm guessing you're talking about a 25m pool?

So what you said would translate to:
    5*100m
    10*50m
    5*100m

1500m in 35 mins works out as bang on 2m20s per 100m

I dunno - maybe try cutting the rest time on the 10*50m to 10 seconds - you're doing the same distance as the 5*100m, but taking twice the rest.

Watch the time and see how long it takes you to do 100m or 50m rather than watching the rest time. For instance - if you want to swim 5*100m on a 2:20 pace per 100m, The 2:20 includes your rest time - so if you finish the 100m on 2 Minutes you get 20 seconds rest - finish on 2:10 you only get 10 seconds rest.

So maybe refine your set to:

5*100m on 2:15 - (11:15)
    1 mins rest
    10*50m on 1:05 - (10:50)
    1 Min rest
    5*100m on 2:05 - (10:50)

total time 34:55.

If you have the time I'd also recommend working a few minutes warm-up and swim-down at the start and end)

Re the weight - while swimming will tone you up - most swimming types i know would acknowledge it's not brilliant for weight loss. But if you're burning more calories than you are eating you will loose weight swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clem

have you considered cycling for weight loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,082 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The distance of the pool matters, where are you swimming, if its in dublin someone here might know the distance.
    Alot of Gyms have 20 pools, it makes a huge difference.
    Also I'd like to back up Kilgore on the considering swim time, not total time.
    for example, 4x100m on 1.30 with 2mins rest, is far tougher than
    4x100m on 1.55 with 20 seconds rest, even though they both take 8 mins total.

I'd change the format slightly, I always find even sets easier to track, and make up the rest with a warm up and swim down.

200m warm up (slow long strokes)
    Do a few stretches

4x100m on 2.10
    8x50m on 1.00
    4x100m 2.10

100m swim down, slow pace

Still 1500m total

The times are based on roughly the pace you were working off. Take 30 secs rest between the three sections, as you find it easier reduce the times for each section. Hope it works out,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

You might also try something like the following. This is what I usually do if I'm swimming on my own.

8-10 lengths warm-up, fairly easy.

Then:

4 x 25 (35 seconds each)
    4 x 50 (65 seconds each)
    4 x 75 (95 seconds each)
    4 x 100 (2 mins, 10 seconds each)

50-100 metres recovery swim, and breather, over about 3-4 minutes.

Then

4 x 100 (2 mins, 10 seconds)
    4 x 75 (90/95 seconds)
    4 x 50 (60/65 seconds)
    4 x 25 (30 seconds)

100-150 metre recovery and warm-down

This is around 100 lengths, so you might do 3 of each different length instead of 4, if pressed for time.

This way you sort of reach a peak in the middle, and the distances then get shorter (though it is good to try and reduce the times on the way down).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Trust me on this one,
    Weight loss will not happen from pool work.
    The benefits of swimming are muscle tone and strength, stamina and breath control.
    The programme you have is a decent starting point, If you've had a knee injury avoid breaststroke like the plague. To get a solid programme, do a 200-400 metre warmup front and back crawl mixed in there. Then when you've had your HR at or over 110-120 for 5-6 minutes, take 1 minute rest, time yourself for 200 metres as fast as possible in Front crawl. The next session do the same for back crawl. 200 is the best distance to use as a base time as it as a proper fitness indicator. Once you have those times you can plan your sets for improvement, similar to how you would in an aerobic set in a gym, working off a 75% effort as the main body of your set.
    To achieve your weight loss goals, modify your diet if swimming is your only aerobic excercise, otherwise a cross trainer or cycling might be the best way to shift those pounds, I've got the same weight issue myself, And I know for certain swimming will only tone and condition muscles and skin.
    When the pounds do move, the advantages of that become clear though, no saggy skin, defined muscle and increased stamina. It will stand to you if you keep it up

• Advertisement
Advertisement