Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking....

Options
  • 25-08-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Heya lads,

This is a bit of an odd request as I'm not a hunter. I'm a photographer. As you probably know, it's rutting season right now for Stags and I fancy a few up close photos.

I need to know how best to approach deer without giving myself away. I know I should approach against the wind so my scent doesn't carry but other than that I'm not sure how best to get close. I have a zoom lens, but I'll still need to get as close as possible.

Any help with this would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Sililar to yourself I dont hunt but would like to go on a Deer Stalk sometime
    and and take a Shot with a Camera rather than a Rifle! :D
    I'd like to learn about tracking/stalking or the skill set involved but
    without the need of making the kill.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

wear good camoflage, come towards the deer from down wind so they do not smell your sent and be VERY quiet....
    don't smoke, or wear aftershave, stay low against a back drop and don't stand on any twigs/branches as they will crack and make alot of noise......

some times they come near farms, depending on the area they are in, so you might come across a farmer that might let you onto his land and "shoot" them in a familar area......

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

You can hide and make the deer come to you. Put out salt licks for them and they will come to feed every day, like groundbaiting a fish swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Pick your area, ask around as to where they are plentiful. You can see where they go through ditches and hedges as they normally follow a set route. Do your checking in daylight to help you see their tracks and allow you pick a suitable hide that will give you an unobstructed view.

Follow alan123's advice with regard to salt licks. You can also stake out water where they come to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

rut wont be for another month, most of the stags are still in velvet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Try calling them in. Last year when the sika stags were fired up I took an American elk call with a trimmed down reed (to make it more wimpy and high-pitched sounding) and drove them nuts! I had a few come charging in looking for a fight! Great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It can be fun with sika stags but be careful with red stags, they can get VERY belligerent in the heat of the rut and if they think that you are trying to steal their harem..... watch out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 premier1

TelePaul wrote:
    Heya lads,

This is a bit of an odd request as I'm not a hunter. I'm a photographer. As you probably know, it's rutting season right now for Stags and I fancy a few up close photos.

I need to know how best to approach deer without giving myself away. I know I should approach against the wind so my scent doesn't carry but other than that I'm not sure how best to get close. I have a zoom lens, but I'll still need to get as close as possible.

Any help with this would be great.
    watch them from a far get up earley look for foot prints in the tracks goying to and from trees do your home work if you are up before the sun you will watch them goying home next time you be at the home door before them

Advertisement