Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting from CALOR to Board Gais. Worth it?

Options
  • 25-08-2007 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

Does anyone has any recommendation on the convenience of converting from Calor GAS (Bottled Gas) to a Board Gais supply?

I live in a 5-bed dettached built some 20 years ago. Thermal efficiency is not at its the best, and I am running into very high costs for my bottled gas supply (last year I spent 2,000 Euro in Bulk Propane costs, plus Euro 77 as an annual standing charge), just to heat the house. I don't have a gas cooker, or tumble dryer.

Converting to Board Gais will cost me up front Euro 2,670 in the installation. Yet, I still I don't know if:

1. Do I need to replace my boiler? Costs?
    2. Do I need to replace my Gas fire? Costs?
    3. Any other hidden costs?
    4. Once the infrastructure expenses are finished, how much would I expect to save in my yearly bills?

I will appreciate any first hand experience, good or bad.

Thanks,
    Butch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

if fire and CHU are both 20 years old then replace.

without knowing the cost per therm of the calor gas it is difficult to estimate a cost

the bills must give u some idea of how much eneergy u have paid for.

how is ur HW heated?

whats included in the BG figure: just to the meter on the wall/road or is there a low pressure line to the site of the boiler and gas fire included.

how many zones in the house for heating?

do the rads have themostatic valves on them? TRV's

the reason I aswk is that with few zones and TRV's then u could get a smaller condensing gas fored unit which will work hard and be efficient.

dont replace like with like ur current one is prolly 130,000 btu's: u dont need that if u have a few zones.

Maybe consider replacing the rads for more modern efficient ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You might be able to get a conversion kit for the fire ,but with regards to your boiler . I can't see a guarantee with any conversion on a boiler thats 20 years old.

Your bills will depend on the usual ,having your heating system fully serviced and flushed etc.

I have a calculator that I use to work out the heat requirements of rooms etc. Getting the right sized radiators is as important as controlling the heat thermostatically.
    You should have someone over to you and size out what heat requirements you need and take it from there.

Advertisement