Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese delivery charges and tips.

Options
  • 24-08-2007 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,I had a conversation earlier about how people who deliver for chinese takeaways get paid.
    I thought they get the delivery charge ,on every order.
    But I was told they get a wage at the end of the night ,is this true?.

If it is ,I'd be a bit reluctant to give as much tips as I do.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Some places pay per delivery, some pay per hour, some pay **** all. It really depends on the place from what I'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

€50 a night plus delivery and tips. Would imagine the average is €150 a night or their tax and insurance as it usually works out.

If it is ,I'd be a bit reluctant to give as much tips as I do.

Then get off your ass and walk to the chinese and get it yourself.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

Nice .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I always presumed that they get the delivery charge as it would be in the shop's interest to have the facility to increase sales.

(I wonder how many of those people doing deliveries have declared to their motor insurers that they are utilising their vehicles for commercial purposes?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

KdjaCL wrote:
    €50 a night plus delivery and tips. Would imagine the average is €150 a night or their tax and insurance as it usually works out.

kdjac

exactly what i was thinking:D
    why would what the delivery man gets paid influence how much you tip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

some get paid a set wage. some get paid per delivery and some, a mixture of both. You'd be doing very well to get anywhere near 150 euro a night. That's some estimate. I delivered for apache pizza in fairview, artane and sutton and I delivered an average of 30 pizzas per night. to walk away with 100 euro a night would leave you smiling but very tired. Delivery drivers take all the ****e for the delays caused in the shop so to tip less than 2 euro is just plain mean. And dont expect a fast delivery if you're a scab. I stopped delivering a couple of years ago but i always tip well because those guys have a hard job. can be dangerous too if delivering to a rough area.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

goz83 wrote:
    I delivered for apache pizza in fairview, artane and sutton and I delivered an average of 30 pizzas per night. to walk away with 100 euro a night would leave you smiling but very tired. .

Yeah but northsiders are miserable and poor.

I kid, I kid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

How are the employers going to determine whether the delivery guy got a tip or not?

Of course he/she pockets the money, without declaring it to the employer or the taxman.

Often the delivery people contract to the restaurant. My local Indian restaurant has an arrangement with a local taxi firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

_Brian_ wrote:
    Hello ,I had a conversation earlier about how people who deliver for chinese takeaways get paid.
    I thought they get the delivery charge ,on every order.
    But I was told they get a wage at the end of the night ,is this true?.

If it is ,I'd be a bit reluctant to give as much tips as I do.:confused:

Well if they are properly employed they should be getting min wage (right?).

If they are not on the books then they are getting paid either way.

Are you reluctant because you presume the wage is more than what they would get for all the delivery charges?

If the guy answered the door and said he had made 100deliveries that night would you be reluctant to tip (seeing as he has already made a good "wage").

I would have presumed they are paid in a combination, fixed pay, and then extras. Fixed pay is for just being there at the ready, extras pay for petrol per delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

rubadub wrote:

Are you reluctant because you presume the wage is more than what they would get for all the delivery charges?

If the guy answered the door and said he had made 100deliveries that night would you be reluctant to tip (seeing as he has already made a good "wage").

I would have presumed they are paid in a combination, fixed pay, and then extras. Fixed pay is for just being there at the ready, extras pay for petrol per delivery.

I never like to be a tight ass ,when it comes to services like deliveries. But I get at least 3 takeaways a week. I tip around 2.50 each time ,so it all adds up in the end.

I wouldn't feel I have to tip as much ,if I knew the delivery person was guaranteed a wage at the end of the night. regardless of delivery charges and tips.

I haven't got my knickers in a knot over it ,but it's something that I was curious about .

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement