Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot food counter in Tesco

Options
  • 24-08-2007 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Are hot food counters in supermarkets subject to the same sort of "spot" inspections as say restaurants? I'm constantly shocked by the standard of some of the hot food that is sold in my local branch of Tesco. They do have things like sausages and chicken-wings that look like they have been lying there for days on end and are totally inedible. I seriously wouldn't give them to an animal.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its not just Tesco, its everywhere. Deli food is never good, especially at around 4pm when the last of the potato wedges have reached the consistency of charcoal.

The health safety people would be working around the clock if they were to pull shops up for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Superquinn near me is usually OK though they tend to run out of stuff. The standard of hygiene in some of the filling station deli's is just woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I always feel sorry for the staff at these counters.
    Their backs must be wrecked by having to lean and stretch over to containers hundreds of times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tesco's quality has been in constant decline for years. Their shops are usually a mess and they don't seem too pushed about removing out of date food from their shelves. Eatings from their deli is asking for trouble tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

eth0_ wrote:
    Tesco's quality has been in constant decline for years. Their shops are usually a mess and they don't seem too pushed about removing out of date food from their shelves. Eatings from their deli is asking for trouble tbh :)

There are huge variances between branches. Rathmines, for instance, is an absolute hole compared with branches like Merrion, Dundrum,etc.

Some of the stuff from the deli counters isn't bad if you get it when it's fresh.
    Like morrocan cooked chicken for less than 4quid.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

eth0_ wrote:
    I reckon its because Tesco staff are just generally unmotivated. I have yet to come across anyone in my local branch who gives a hoot what happens in store. Point out a problem and in my experience they just shrug and walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm an ex Cuisine De France rep so I have a lot of experience in this. Any food in the counter longer than 90 minutes *should* be binned because it w ould have lost it's quality. It would still be perfectly safe to eat once it's kept above a certain temperature but it'll justb taste crap.

Outlets with hot counters are checked by health ispectors on average twice annually, Tesco and other big name outlets would also be checked by a head office health and safety officer who would be looking for the same standard of health and safety as the health inspector

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

micmclo wrote:
    I always feel sorry for the staff at these counters.
    Their backs must be wrecked by having to lean and stretch over to containers hundreds of times a day.

I'd feel sorry for them but not if they are not keeping the place clean and using old food so save them the bother of cooking more.

Advertisement