Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the word 'plant' mean 'heavy machinery'?

Options
  • 24-08-2007 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Most words have an origin that can ge guessed at, or at least are clear when explained, but for the life of me I cant see how PLANT can mean heavy machinery / goods / etc

There is 'plant hire', 'power plant', and even signs saying 'heavy plant crossing' ...........

has anyone got any ideas what plant means?

There was a suggestion that it might be related to plantation .... that would explain the large machines!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Well in an industrial context, plant is defined as follows:
    a. A building or group of buildings for the manufacture of a product; a factory.
    b. The equipment, including machinery, tools, instruments, and fixtures and the buildings containing them, necessary for an industrial or manufacturing operation.

It's not specific to heavy machinery. Most manufacturing processes do however involve heavy machinery, perhaps this is what causes the confusion.

In your examples, I think plant may be being used as an adjective to describe the sort of tools/machinery one would find at a plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

plant etymology
    [Middle English plante, from Old English and Old French, both from Latin planta, sprout, seedling; see plat- in Indo-European roots.]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I would guess for factories it started being used during the industrial revolution when factories were "planted" in one particular site, but I'm not sure I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Moved to Linguistics & Etymology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 backdraft102

Most likely comes from the same place "plantation" comes from.....bring along the scissors lift or the Kobelco and just plant them where they need to go to do the job. Same with generators if you ask me.

Johmo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

A building being "planted" is found in 1789

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Sean_K wrote: »
    Well in an industrial context, plant is defined as follows:

It's not specific to heavy machinery. Most manufacturing processes do however involve heavy machinery, perhaps this is what causes the confusion.

In your examples, I think plant may be being used as an adjective to describe the sort of tools/machinery one would find at a plant.

I'd agree with your explanation there Sean_K. I think it is adjectival and refers to plant as in a factory or maunfacturing area.

Advertisement