Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate going south?

Options
  • 23-08-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭

I've been hearing a lot about the jet stream (mainly on British television) being blamed for the poor summer this year and it seems the logical conclusion to make.

The problem seems to be that the jet stream is blowing further south than it should be during the summer months blocking the Azores high and swinging depressions in our way.

This got me thinking wasn't last winter a comparatively dry one? This is probably a bunch of nonsense but could the two be linked?

Was the jet steam further south than it should be in the winter causing depressions to travel south of us? The price to pay being direct hits throughout the summer? Or was it just an odd year and we will get back to normal for the next couple of cycles?

Of course this idea would have to affect the entire Atlantic pattern of weather if it were true. If the jet stream were for whatever reason off target to the south, would it cause more hurricane paths to aim more for the Caribbean and Mexico?

Just some amateurish thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The jet stream is to blame for the poor summer and yes seems a logical conclusion.

With regards the two being linked,cant say yes or no to that.Yes we have(east) had more rainfall in these summer months than the winter gone but July entirely was a showery month.(More convection takes place in the summer than winter combined with LP coming from the Atlantic just helped to add to totals).

But one thing that has been covered in its entirity was a moderate El Nino year (2006) that also affected the general winter pattern in the North Atlantic driving the Jet to the north and allowing LP in.
    Now a weak La Nina is upon us and has similar affects but in driving the Jet south pushing the azores HP back southwards and allowing LP again to cross us.But if this holds,the coming winter be drier and cooler with pressure build to the north or NW.We can only hope.

It could be blamed on the Pacific phenomenon or a stormy peroid lasting several months in a ??yr cycle.
    If the jet stream were for whatever reason off target to the south, would it cause more hurricane paths to aim more for the Caribbean and Mexico?
    Ironically this HP over us originally steered Hurricane Dean on its destructive path towards the caribbean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a price I'm willing to live with.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

dsmythy wrote:

This got me thinking wasn't last winter a comparatively dry one?

Nope - In fact it was wetter than normal. See:

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=69

It was our spring that was dryer than normal.

And it is also "normal" to have these kind of variations I think.

A

Advertisement