Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received laptop today, lots of problems!

Options
  • 23-08-2007 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

First off, apologies for the long post!

I got my vostro 1500 from interlink today and was less then impressed when I got a blue screen on the very first startup!

After restarting I managed to get into the desktop and was met with a few error messages about roxio(the cd creator software which came bundled with it). These were runtime errors,then I'd get the message RoxMMTrayApp Module has stopped working. I went to uninstall it but "The windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows Installer is not installed peoperly"!

I then tried to remove McAfee because i noticed I there was about 4 McAfee icons in the system tray which disappeared when i ran the mouse over them. When I tried to do this I was told I didn't have sufficient access to uninstall it and should contact my system administrator.
    There is only one user account on the computer so I would have assumed I was the administrator?

Windws defender will not start either, when i click on the icon i'm told it's turned off and when i try and enable it I get:
    "Windows defender encountered an error: 0x80070005. Access is denied"

This is really annoying me. I ran the dell diagnostics and no problems were found in the first set of tests. The second set is running as I type this.

Would a re-install solve any problems?
    I'm running Vista Ultimate but have never done a reinstall before. Is it complicated to do?

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

straight out of the box, send it back if i was you.

There could be hardware issues causing this.0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Agreed, send it back... Look for a new laptop or a full refund...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

This might help your McAfee problem
    http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?frames=1&docid=408302&CategoryId=107187

Sending it back sounds like a good idea though, seems like you have some annoying problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sent it back mate. Not nice since you have it in now and all you want to do is play with it. But if something has problems from the start, the trend is you will be cursed with it.

A replacement is the minimum I would seek, even if you have to go and return the order, and start again in purchasing a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd send it back. While you could probably fix all those errors. You shouldn't have to with something new out of the box, they shouldn't have shipped it to you like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I rang up dell and they got me to do a factory image restore.
    That seems to have done the trick though, all the above problems are rectified. Looking back, I should have been a bit angrier on the phone and demended i get something free out of them!

Glad to report my screen is perfect,I have read nightmare stories about light bleed problems etc on Vostro screens.

The only problem I have now is trying to connect it to my pc!
    If anybody can help i have a thread over in nets and comms:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055138188

Thanks again

Well, looks like all you guys were right. Was playing oblivion last night when i heard a strange sound coming from the laptop, kind of a high pitched whine, then got a bluescreen crash. I know it might be nothing but I'm gong to send it back and get it looked at. Might try this time to get some compensation(i.e. free stuff!!)

Well i'm getting a replacement sent out with a free upgrade to WXGA+ screen. Not too shabby. Now lets hope I don't have to wait a month for it!

Advertisement