Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to St. Vincents Hospital on the 18?

Options
  • 23-08-2007 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

Have a job interview coming up for near Vincents hospital and for the job i'd have to get the 18 from rathmines. I know the 18 is a ropey at times, but whats it like in the morning? If i need too be for 9am what time would i want to be at the bus stop by? Does the thing come on time?

I guess i get off at the RDS and walk down the rest of the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Have a job interview coming up for near Vincents hospital and for the job i'd have to get the 18 from rathmines. I know the 18 is a ropey at times, but whats it like in the morning? If i need too be for 9am what time would i want to be at the bus stop by? Does the thing come on time?

I guess i get off at the RDS and walk down the rest of the way.

You've two options:
    1) Get the 18 to RDS and then any of 4/5/7/7A/7E/8/45 to Vincents.
    2) Stay on the 18 as it goes directly to Vincents after it goes through Sandymount and Sydney Parade Avenue.

I would say to be on the safe side be at the stop around 8 - it shouldn't take anymore than 45-50 minutes from Rathmines in the peak hour. There's a bus every 10 minutes.

It is next to near impossible to judge how long the 18 will take from Palmerstown, but as a rule I would say give it 45 minutes.

Fare is EUR 1.60 staying on the 18, and EUR 1.40 to the RDS and EUR 1.00 on the other routes. The Travel 90 Handy pack is also available (EUR 17.00 for a pack of 10 tickets) which allows you to take as many journeys as you like, provided the final trip starts within 90 minutes of you boarding the first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Any idea on which opition would be quicker? If i was getting off at the RDS i was going to walk from there, would there be a huge time difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Any idea on which opition would be quicker? If i was getting off at the RDS i was going to walk from there, would there be a huge time difference?

It is the guts of 2KM from RDS to St. Vincent's, one hell of a walk if you are tight for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The 18 takes a long route from RDS to Vincents via Sandymount village. 5-10mns depending on traffic. The other routes would take only a minute or two but obviously add in waiting time. To walk about 10-15mns.

Changing bus would probably be quicker as there are a lot more buses on that road now with the 4 and 7E but you could be unlucky and find a gap.

Leave yourself lots of time and stay on the 18, least hassle and you don't want to arrive for your interview stressed out or sweaty after a last-minute dash down Merrion Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I would say that having got the 18 to Ballsbridge, if when you turn onto the main road at Jurys (as was!)there is a bus coming down from Northumberland Road that is a 4/5/7/7A/7E/45 get off and take it. If there is no bus stay on board.

Walking is a LONG option and not really practical. The direct routes will take about 5-8 minutes from the RDS to Vincents maximum, while the 18 will probably take 15-20.

I would certainly say that 8am is the latest I would be at the stop. You could get there in 35 minutes, but it could take 50. So allow plenty of leeway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd imagine cycling would be by far the quickest option (maybe not for the interview though).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try to get the 18 from the Ranelagh side of of Rathmines - in the morning it can take 20 minutes to fight its way from Kenilworth Road to Castlewood Avenue.

I took the 18 recently and the tour of Sandymount it takes is outrageous. Much of Sandymount and all of Ringsend should have been dropped when Donnybrook was added. Sometimes adding to much functionality results in something dysfunctional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Victor wrote:
    Try to get the 18 from the Ranelagh side of of Rathmines - in the morning it can take 20 minutes to fight its way from Kenilworth Road to Castlewood Avenue.

I took the 18 recently and the tour of Sandymount it takes is outrageous. Much of Sandymount and all of Ringsend should have been dropped when Donnybrook was added. Sometimes adding to much functionality results in something dysfunctional.

In your map you left out the Belfield circuit that most of them take during weekdays.

It is a ridiculous route, about the only benefit is that it provides more buses from Sydney Parade to Belfield.

Advertisement