Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Stories Series.

Options
  • 23-08-2007 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey all,

If anyone is interested in reading some of my short stories they can view them on my myspace blog.

I have only started writing these in the last 2 or 3 days but i am starting to really get into writing them.

They are basically a few paragraphs long but each story means something and is linked to a bigger plot when you combine all the stories together. i wil be updating them quite regularly (at least once a day) so there will always be something new to read.

Please take a look and maybe you'll get a better idea of what im talk bout here. lol

http://blog.myspace.com/liquidmarble

if you read any, please read the one titled "Understandably" and dated 21st of August first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Hey there, had a read of 'Understandably' - not getting it though !

As you are doing flash fiction, you're being too ambitious with what meaning you trying to put into this small a piece. what you are trying to say needs to be worked out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Liquidmarble

its so frustrating though. when i explain what the stories are about it becomes very clear but seen as everyone iv shown just reads them once, goes, what the f**k? and then forgets about it, what im tryin to get at is completly missed.

I know there difficult to read, but thats just the style of it. Iv been pretty much put off doin these by all this and have very little incentive on workin on any more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

The way I see it, if you enjoy writing them, write them. If they are a frustrating experience, then why limit yourself to that format? Write short stories.

In relation to Understandably.... There are some interesting turns of phrase, but the reader is left with a bit too much work to do I feel. Maybe you could flesh out the story a little?

The one entitled Broadcast is the best of the lot, because every sentence belongs to the story. The other stories seem to be a random collection of sentences on existentialism. But, why not flesh out the Broadcast story as well? I'm sure there is a good story in there.

Good luck with your future writing endeavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

I know there difficult to read, but thats just the style of it. Iv been pretty much put off doin these by all this and have very little incentive on workin on any more of them.

First out - don't take things so personally !
    You've asked people to give you feedback and constructive crticism on your
    first attempts at writing and people have taken the time to do so.
    Use it as a positive and something to learn from.

its so frustrating though. when i explain what the stories are about it becomes very clear but seen as everyone iv shown just reads them once, goes, what the f**k? and then forgets about it, what im tryin to get at is completly missed.

If you can explain what you are tyring to say in speech, then the writing needs to do the same for you. It's no use you knowing what you want to say in your head and on one understanding it from what you've written.
    The whole point is that your writing must communicate that.

I think you might be limiting yourself here with the narrative form you are using (i.e flash fiction) - perhaps attempt a more traditional classic short story format - and see if you can get across what you want to say in that to see if it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dj_quinn

As a writer myself I can only advise you that you needn't be bothered by criticism, stand over your writing if you know you've worked as hard as you can and really put yourself into it. However, when readers cannot understand the breadth or the point of your story it is prudent to look at your writing form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

hey, eh, i read "understandably"... and not to float my own boat here but i didn't find it a challenge to decipher. i quite liked it. i read it the once and decided to post because i saw that you'd mentioned that you gotten negative feedback and that you'd lost interest.

that's the worst idea i have ever heard.

do not lose interest on the words of the few. it is a good piece. perhaps the failing of the piece is not the tall writing but the short reader it is offered to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

Has understandably got something to do with gender, so to speak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Liquidmarble

Thanks Raven, yeah, i was just very frustrated about it and just needed to take a few days break from writing. i dont usually take things as personal as that.

I've added up the next one and the story has developed quite a bit now.

Also these are all part of the one story and not just stand alone writings. Reading just one wont be enough to get the full story.

Pinker - No theres no hidden subject about gender. It is basically introducing the first character "the girl".

Advertisement