Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheels for a Child's Wagon

Options
  • 23-08-2007 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I will be making a child's wagon similar to Norms in New Yankee Workshop below, for a younger member of our clan.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?403

But does anyone know where I could get similar wheels for this locally? I've been looking around to see if I can salvage wheels from any old toys / carts but without joy.

Regards,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Nice wagon, been thinking of making one of those myself. Anyway , wheels, saw some last year in Lenehans of Capel Street, down the back of the shop in the section where they sell nuts , bolts etc. Only saw the wheels but I think they do axles as well. Another possible source could be a company that sells materials handling equipment.

or cheat ....!!!

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Multi-Purpose-Wooden-Cart-460269.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Davittdr

I made this one for my kids a few years ago

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006SLRT/woodchuckcanuc0b

It has removable sides but I decided to have the rails as a permanent fixture as I felt they would last no time if removable. I (and the kids) were really pleased it how it worked out and they still dragged out of the garage after 3 years on when they are helping me in the garden:-)

I got the wheels from B&Q and also a threaded rod and metal tubing that worked great for the axles.

I am not an experienced woodworker but I did not find this project to difficult but getting the under carriage right took a bit of time.

I have the plans in PDF format if you want, just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you for the feedback. When didn't look at Axminster? I see they have castors I got for my new work bench there for a fraction of what I paid for them. Ah well - I'm very happy with the bench. Thanks for the info and I'll wait for them to come back into stock.

Davittdr - I will say yes please to the PDF plans. I will PM my email to you. That's a nice wagon and I can see the lads have a lot of fun with this.

Thanks again everyone.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I was goinf to suggest that you could buy some large casters from Axminster and scavenge the wheels. You can also buy rubber tyred lawnmower wheels but they are expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Davittdr

Dummy, Email sent with plans attached.

Here are some Pic's of the one I made. I modified the plans slightly and increased the size to 18" * 30" instead of 14" * 24" I got the wheels in B&Q and also the threaded axels and a metal tube to slide the axle into so the threads would not damage the under carriage (see waggon 3 pic).

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

That's a nice wagon Davittdr. I can see children having loads of fun with that. I have 2 projects to start and finish and when these are done I'm going to make this up.

Thanks again.

D

Advertisement