Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Protection Question

Options
  • 22-08-2007 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi, not sure this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find anywhere that seemed more relevant.

I have a question about data protection. I have a situation with a hobby of mine where I attend events, and my full residential address is published in a publicly available "catalogue" at the event. There is no reason given for this, but it is a rule.

Now obviously I have the option of not participating, but I would have thought that I would have the expectation of privacy, unless I had waived it. I contacted the main group and they wrote back that it was the rule, and that it is stated in the rules (big mess of rules on the back of the application form).

If there was a reason that my address should be published, I would understand but it doesn't give anyone any advantage. (except someone who might be interested in taking something I own, for example!)

While this had irked me for a while, it really got bad when we were verbally abused and threatened at one event by a member of the public, and I noticed that they had one of these "catalogues" that contained my name and full residential address. As I live in an estate, one could find me very easily.

I love my hobby, it's a lot of fun but I've addressed this twice with organisers and they refuse to even consider a change of rules or a compromise (town and county instead of full address).

I'm thinking of taking this further but I wanted to know what people think, am I just being oversensitive about this?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You might want to ask a hypothetical version of this in Legal Discussion? (you cant be seen to look for legal advice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

There is a DP rule that states : "You may not keep information about people unless it is held for a specific, lawful and clearly stated purpose". It's unclear from your message what that specific purpose of this organisation having your address is.

You might also want to answer the obvious question: what kind of hobby do you have that has members of the public abusing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

LOL it had nothing to do with the hobby. A randomer started hurling homophobic abuse at myself and my partner... "We've seen you before, you're sick, queers!!!" that sort of thing.

Scary enough actually.

I don't so much mind them having my address (the org), for correspondance purposes, but the publishing of it seems a tad senseless and asking for trouble (as above!)

KitK, I tried getting into Legal Discussion but it asked for a password.

Garth wrote:
    KitK, I tried getting into Legal Discussion but it asked for a password.
    The courtroom and gallery are private, but the LD page should have open access. Scroll down the page?

Has the organisation given a good reason for the publication of your details?

Ah! Never thought of looking there! Oops!

Their reason is so other affiliated groups can easily obtain my address for correspondance, which, again, I have no issue with, but surely that could be accomplished without making it publicly available!?

They're just being stupid. It's amazing how many enjoyable hobbies are ruined by politics and power-hungry weirdos on committees.

• Advertisement

Garth wrote:
    Ah! Never thought of looking there! Oops!

Their reason is so other affiliated groups can easily obtain my address for correspondance, which, again, I have no issue with, but surely that could be accomplished without making it publicly available!?

They're just being stupid. It's amazing how many enjoyable hobbies are ruined by politics and power-hungry weirdos on committees.
    Ive seen with other groups where (mobile) phone numbers and emails are given as an alternative to an address. Maybe appeal to their vanity and mention that this would be a progressive and more modern step?:)

Have appealed twice now, both times have received letters stating, "these are the rules, we are always right". or something to that effect! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Why don't you query it with the Data Protection Comissioners?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Garth wrote:
    Have appealed twice now, both times have received letters stating, "these are the rules, we are always right". or something to that effect! LOL

What sort of organistion is it?? It seems a bit totalaterian.
    Have you talked to other members about this, how do they feel??? You could easily write to every member list regarding your concerns and pointing out (even though it's obvious) how you got their contact details.

sorry guys have been busy! Thanks for the input, I'm going to ask the dp commissioners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement