Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a Piano Circle in Dublin

Options
  • 22-08-2007 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,

The recent activity on the Glenn Gould thread that I started has given me an idea. There seem to be a fair few pianists in Dublin. Not all of the same level of capability, but certainly enough who share a passion to play, and derive enjoyment from doing the same.

I've been thinking about starting a "Piano Circle" here in Dublin. This would involve members who may be amateur piano players who normally never get the opportunity to perform or air their pieces in front of an audience, or students who want the chance to play something in a friendly informal setting...basically anyone who plays the piano, and wants to perform a piece or two to an encouraging audience. Members can pay a small nominal fee for the whole year (about €20) and in turn will be offered the chance to play at 4 Piano Circle meetings a year at a Dublin recital venue (I have a few ideas RE where this could be).

I could also arrange for "celebrity" lecture recitals, or workshops to be arranged for members, where a renowned pianist/teacher can come over to Dublin and work with members on whatever repertoire they are playing. Talented young student pianists can also be given the opportunity to do a half hour recital for members, which will be very well received.

Even the most nervous amateur will benefit from this. Anyone who is interested please email me seperately at info@karishmeh.com OR send me a PM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

This sounds like a lot of fun IMO, and I'd definitely be up for it. It could also be an oppurtunity for the more experienced amongst us to offer tips, etc. Also a place to discuss peices and composers we like, and why.

Count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

That's an excellent idea, Pianist2891! Count me in, too.

It'd also be a great forum to discuss pianists and music in general. Sounds like good fun.

And wine. Somewhere, there should be wine.

LOL. Of course! And cheese, while we're at it. Pianists are all snobs at heart, even though most of them would prefer not to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

What a fantastic idea! I'm in, even though i probably won't be able to make many of the meetings or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

the point is to have a few but really beneficial and enjoyable meetings...i think 4 a year is a good number to start with, and perhaps then including masterclasses or visits by interesting pianists etc.

Cheese and wine - argh NO! Give me chips and coke any day. Failing that, lots of chocolate and tetley tea.

Edited to add: Please could anyone interested PM me with your name and email address and I'll get this under way after next week's recital.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Could the none piano playing members of the forum come along to be an audience at these recitals?

I have only very basic piano skills (gave it up in favour of the clarinet) but I do like listening to piano music.

Chocolate and Tetley tea will do nicely instead. ;)

Of course!! They won't even be recitals, just a group of people playing pieces of their choice to an encouraging bunch of..err..people!

It really doesnt matter how nervous you are, or how well or not so well someone plays, the point is to enjoy an evening of music and then talk about all things music related while drinking tea/coke/wine/coffee!

Cheese and wine - argh NO! Give me chips and coke any day. Failing that, lots of chocolate and tetley tea.

This made me laugh.

• Advertisement

There's some preliminary info about this, and I'm about to email the link to everyone. I imagine having a sort of committee (terribly formal word!) or core group of about 4-5 people is a good idea, in the off chance that this takes off, and becomes quite popular.

So far I have myself, and one other person who is willing to be a part of this committee (she is a diploma student, and is very pleasant and enthusiastic!). If anyone would like to be part of the committee (this would involve taking turns programming who's playing what at a meeting, and helping the odd time with basic admin/promoting of the piano circle etc).

Basic info up for viewing at www.karishmeh.com/pianocircle.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Why can't you simply meet in the "club" members houses (provided that they have piano fortes available) on a rotary base and bring along some cheese, wine and tea.

doing simply musik-making in the home without setting up a committee looking for venues and charging fees? in a more intimate way. those kind of circles have worked for centuries without problems.

but nowadays everything requires a fee and a committee in this country...

Very good idea. Unfortunately my house only holds about 6-7 people (even though I have two pianos and a keyboard). If anyone wants to volunteer the use of their houses, thats perfect, but the idea is that we can atleast fit 20-30 people comfortably.

As regards a fee, the idea is also to invite concert pianists/teachers/professors to do workshops. They don't do these things for free.

A committee, a very formal word, but for a not so formal task, of taking turns in programming who plays what at meetings.

Also, for the past year and a half, I have held free lecture-recitals, at a public venue, with no admission fee, no committee or no one to help me with them.

So yes, it does work, but these recitals were aimed mainly at benefiting my own students, and young people. I was severely out of pocket paying for the venue costs, and not charging admission, but I felt it would be more worthwhile for the young people in the audience, and as a result we had a packed audience at every recital.

The piano circle is for members, amateur and otherwise, and a €30 membership fee is hardly anything if you want to have the opportunity to perform as well as work with someone renowned as a pianist/teacher.

Edited to add: Music making in houses has worked for centuries, but we're talking about large houses with pianofortes in them. I have tried to find a similar group of people here in Ireland, and have contacted every piano circle in England. No such groups exist in Ireland, and in England every group (even one with only 15 members) charges a nominal fee, EVEN IF they meet in each others houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 amity island

I agree Pianist2891, a small nominal fee of €30 is not too much to ask. Plus I think the idea of having a membership fee will make it easier to organise things. I think people will be more focussed...? The 'scary' thing I guess is to break the ice and play in front of others, and the smaller the group the easier that would be. I hope this idea takes off anyway. Pianist I'll mail you the form.

I have such get togethers for my own students anyway, but after talking to other students/amateurs/members of the public it seems that more people want this. I'll book and pay for a suitable venue (members will already have details of this in their emails/post) and I promise anyone who takes part, they will be glad they did! We already have a great starting group of people, so now it remains to set the first date for a meeting. Would an evening in November suit most people? Between 5 and 8 p.m.? Or would saturday morning between 10 and 1 be better? Sorry these are the only times the recital room venue can be booked!

Of course weekday mornings are available too, but i guess that doesn't suit most people!

I think it sorta depends on what everyone does with their lives.

Personally, I think it'd be a good idea to run these on midterms and the like, as - speaking for myself - I almost certainly won't be free at any other time (I work evenings 4-9 Monday-Friday, and Saturdays 9-5. Also I'm in Sligo Wednesday-Saturday, so...).

But then, if I'm in the minority I obviously can't expect everyone to acquiesce. I knew when I took my jobs for this year, I'd have very little time for other things.

Not quite sure which weekday evenings suit me yet, but Saturday mornings would probably suit okay. I can come to some arrangement.

Agreed. You can't please everybody, so maybe just pick 2-3 potential times and whichever the most of us can attend, then so be it.

Advertisement