Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic money bags

Options
  • 22-08-2007 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I have a 3ltr vodka bottle that is full of coins! I got the small plastic bags from the bank so I can lodge the money to my a/c. Now this is where I need some advice?? Can I just fill a bag with 20c coins without counting them and the bank can just weight them and will know by the weight how much is in it or do I have to count up eg €10 in 20c coins & so on?? If I do it will take me forever!!!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you have to count them and put them in the amounts that are specified on the bag.

the bank verify the amount by weighing them but won't give you the money if your short or if you're over they'll give you the amount on the bag eg. if you have 11 euros in 20c, they'll only give you €10

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You have to sort them out into 1c,2c,5c,10c,20c,50c,€1,€2 and match them up with the values on the bags, i.e. if it says 1 euro in 1cents then thats what you have to put in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

carolinej wrote:
    Can I just fill a bag with 20c coins without counting them and the bank can just weight them
    :eek: - the banks are snotty enough about having to deal with correctly filled bags without bringing in uncounted ones!

EDIT: It's easier to give the bottle to the next charity collector who calls. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

The way i do it is count out two bags of each type and weigh them. just to make sure both bags weigh the same. them I just fill each bag to weigh the same. it's a lot quicker espically for the small coins.

then when you go to the bank they will weigh them and everythign should be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Or you do the lazy thing and find a local store with a coin counter who charge a fee (usually around 7%) and drop it all in there, go to the cashier after a couple of min and get back 93% of it for 5 min "work" of shoving down more coins into the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Take it to you local shop and ask them nicely will they take it. I do this all the time for my customers. Ask them in advance of bringing it. Choose a quiet time NOT LUNCHTIME.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

Nody wrote:
    Or you do the lazy thing and find a local store with a coin counter who charge a fee (usually around 7%) and drop it all in there, go to the cashier after a couple of min and get back 93% of it for 5 min "work" of shoving down more coins into the machine.

The local supermarket got rid of their coin counter because it kept getting jammed with coins!! They were very handy all the same. I didn't have to go to the cranky cashiers at the bank who were delighted to see me coming with my bags of coppers!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You could go to the seaside and play the slot machines. ;)

Got any nieces or nephews etc who would count it for you for a fee?

And be grateful that your an ordinary punter going in the bank. As a business customer I have to pay the bank to take my cash whether its coin or notes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Credit unions are much nicer about taking coin than the banks. They've been known to toss the odd coin into my bags when I'm short.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

I brought the bags in at lunchtime to the bank. No hassle. All she wanted to know was who were the bags from ie maybe the local pub/shop bringing in their taking so she could determine as one poster says if I was a business customer & charge me for bringing in coins. I now have 3 crisp €50 notes and a couple of €10 notes. Off to the shops for me!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement