Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

better gundog?labrador or a springer?

Options
  • 21-08-2007 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the animals section too but figured i might get better results here. hope the mods don't mind since it is strictly shooting related.

What would be the better gundog be?A Labrador or a springer spaniel?It seems that the springer is used more often as a gundog around Ireland and they seem to be the most common in a field trial.How do the labs fit in?Is there any good and bad points between the two breeds as far as hunting.What are their temperments like in comparison?What are they like when they aren't in the bush?

thanks in advance
    Remmy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

We have one of each :D The lab is a much , much better retriever and cooler headed for following directions and controlled worked , a lot more consistent . The springer is the master of rising birds , he will charge through absolutely everything and put up everything near by but he tends to be a little scatter headed at times and can run himself out very quickly too . However that's just our two so I guess hang around to get a broader idea

/EDIT off duty they both make wonderful loyal pets of course and I could never chose between them in that regards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

we have had a few springers over the years and always found them great for retrieving anywhere. used them for pheasant shooting as well and if they are trained well young will not run off too far in the distance. great for getting through rough terrain and hunting ditches and heavy cover...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

Lots to be said for both breeds, but Labs are easier to train and can be trained to a very good standard indeed.

Springers are great dogs for cover, and if you have patience or buy a trained dog, they can behave themselves too. As Scuby said, if they're not well trained as youngsters they will open up and hunt too far ahead of you. Nor will they be much cop at retrieving.

I'll take a springer usually, but that's down to the character of the dog more than how it rates over a lab.

In short, if you want a dog thats easy to train and does as directed, use the lab.
    If you want to hunt heavy cover and have a bit of fun as well, use the springer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Fast and furious or slow and methodical.
    Nose, Blood lines... get the gundog ....it is not always the breed.

I am bias. :D
    Working Irish Setter make wonderful gun dogs.

Double Barrel

I have always quite liked the original red & white colour Irish setter, I think them a very handsome looking dog.
    I've never hunted with them, but others tell me the working strain is a very clever dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I use a german pointer and a springer the pointer is steadier more level headed dog the springer is completly nuts but will hunt any cover you can find so if your young and fit as a fiddle try the springer if not get the lab but if you want the best buy a pointer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Banjax
    Irish Setters (Red or Red & White)- field- are adaptable, intelligent and have great temperment, can be trained to do just about anything that is required of a gundog and are quick studies. Setters may take longer to train but are more instinctive and they remember what they learn.
    They are fast and wide ranging, use the ground with intelligence, searching the wind for the faintest scent. Their history is tied to the mountains, moors and red grouse and their great strenth as a natural galloper-looper allows the IS to cover ground at speed. They will still be working at the end of a long day.
    Properly trained they are excellent retrievers on land and water, fur and feather.
    In a word, versatile.

1203232307_04bc1814b6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

They look like too well looked after dogs ya got there double-barrel:)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Fast and furious or slow and methodical.
    Nose, Blood lines... get the gundog ....it is not always the breed.

I am bias. :D
    Working Irish Setter make wonderful gun dogs.

Agreed, its the dog not the breed. In saying that if you have a family... its Lab everytime, they double up as a nice pet, the springer will just be to much for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭J.R.

I have a cocker spaniel - great working dog.
    They can squeeze through all types of cover. They will get through the thickest of cover and will work energetically all day long plus retrieve on land and water. When choosing a dog a lot depends on what the terrain you hunt is like plus personnal preferences - spaniels (cocker / brittany / springer etc. ) for heavy, rough, thick cover and larger dogs for more open cover.

I find the cocker great as I have a small garden plus the dog has to double as a house dog / kids pet. She is absolutely brilliant with kids - very gentle & affectionate plus a great guard dog into the bargain - an all rounder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

thanks j.r

Im a bit sketchy on the difference between the cocker and the springer.I understand the springer is a smaller leaner dog compared to the cocker?

Remmy

The springer is the larger dog, the cocker is a little smaller and not as wide in the chest. Although, I admit, the current trend for springers is narrow chested and very tidy all round.

JR

That is a very fine looking dog, a credit to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I have to put in my vote for the lab - very easy to train. I also find them to have an inherently soft mouth which is a plus when it's bringing your game back to you (not that all labs are soft - my dad had one that brought birds back looking like they had been through a grinder!!)
    Plus, you can hunt the nastiest cover you can find all day and you absolutely will not wear a lab out - they seem to have endless energy!:D
    I do have a bit of a soft spot for them as they're just lovely tempered dogs as well. I can't imagine you'd be sorry choosing a lab!

Advertisement