Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shopping Centre....

Options
  • 21-08-2007 4:27pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyones know anything about the new shopping centre thats being built behind the cinema??

I know Dunnes Stores are opening up opposite Gala so thats not going in there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 aidanmoor

i have no idea whats going in there,but it will be mad trying to get tro that town after that opens up ,it bloody mad as it is,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Traffic is bad alright but there are plans to sort that out soon enought as far as I know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

I heard there's a superquinn going in there. Don't know how true that is though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ianwalsh2 wrote:
    I heard there's a superquinn going in there. Don't know how true that is though.

I don't know to be honest. I think that would be too much for the town. There is Tesco, Supervalu and Dunnes is opening around christmas. Then you have Texas and a few others so I would imagine it would just be clothes types shops in it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

apparently theres M&S and a zavvi set for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Pics here,
    http://www.longfordtowncentre.com/ but no info yet! M&S and zavvi would be great tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

If ya seen the News yesterday(not that I read it, I just saw the front page in the shop) theres a story about how they havn't got an anchor so they're delaying opening until next year...methinks someones gonna end up losing a lot of money over this centre

Yeah i read that, another shambles me thinks...
    No decent roads, now their feckin up our shopping:p

The story basically says if they don't secure an anchor wont open until spring (rather that the initially planned winter opening)

I don't think they'll be happy to miss out on the Christmas shopping cash, if it's held back...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

I wonder will that place ever open. I get the impression retail is having a hard time round the town now that the building boom is over. A lot of places seem very quiet (N4 retail park, Providers) and of course Texas closed a while back.

I'd say the big names will think twice before opening up in that shopping centre. There was a lot of spending money around longford the past few years but those days are over

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Another rumour doing the rounds is that they could turn it into a hotel...apparently the inside isnt fitted out so it wouldnt be that big a job. Probably not true though

• Advertisement

Another rumour doing the rounds is that they could turn it into a hotel...apparently the inside isnt fitted out so it wouldnt be that big a job. Probably not true though

I passed it yesterday and it looks like the inside is well and truely done bar the shop interiors like shelves etc.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I passed it yesterday and it looks like the inside is well and truely done bar the shop interiors like shelves etc.

Ah jonny! feck sake I thought ya had news!:pac:

No to a hotel, I want shops - stat!:p

kerash wrote: »
    Ah jonny! feck sake I thought ya had news!:pac:

No to a hotel, I want shops - stat!:p

The sooner the better but what major store can they get to open the centre with?

Tesco: Already have one.
    Dunnes: Already have one.
    Super Valu: Already Have one.
    Lidl/Aldi: Already have them.

There is no big name shop I can think of that they can base the centre around at the minute. Unless River Island/Zara/Pull & Bear or one of those come into the mix.

Thought it was supposed to be m&s or superquin?
    + lots of clothes shops plz!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Flashweaver

This place will die fast! Its way too big for a town like Longford! And since M&S pulled out no1 wants to be in it....not to mention that with the economy the way it is, there couldn't be a worse time to have something like this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the economy isnt as bad as u think. the media is blowing it out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Flashweaver

True....but its bad enough to stop the 2nd shopping centre from taking off!

True....but its bad enough to stop the 2nd shopping centre from taking off!

It think it has to do with rent prices mate. Longford are trying to be on Par with dublin on some of its prices for some mad reason and that is what is scaring the shops off not the economy.

the rent prices are all over the place. rent on houses are varied from 500 to 1000 per month. i got one for 450 myself, though i was a bit out of town

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did they still fail to get a tenant? Woluld they not be better just give it rent free for a few years rather than leaving it idle. Seems like a total disaster to me, why build a shopping centre in the first place without committed tenants :confused:

• Advertisement

dont forget the council offices they sold thats supposedly being turned into another shopping centre. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

the economy isnt as bad as u think. the media is blowing it out of proportion.

Really!!!!! Not sure which planet you are living on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 del monte

If ya seen the News yesterday(not that I read it, I just saw the front page in the shop) theres a story about how they havn't got an anchor so they're delaying opening until next year...methinks someones gonna end up losing a lot of money over this centre

the news aint that bad these days-- has much the same content as the leader

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Dunnes and Tesco cutting back their hours, several small retailers round the town running closing down sales. A main street lined with empty units.
    I can't believe Dunnes' swanky new store will be closing at 8pm five nights of the week.

It would be amazing if that shopping centre opened before mid next year. I'd say never.
    The ever lengthening dole queue stretching onto Killashee Street won't be spending too much on Gucci hangbags and Jack Jones jeans, I'd imagine.
    Could they convert it to a multi storey car park with low rates - that might pull in a bit of revenue.

At least, next to the derelict barracks, we now have our own little monument to the day when we lost the run of ourselves.
    (Along with Carrigglas Manor, Battery Court etc)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭dulchie75

I can't believe Dunnes is going to close early every night!! Longford is the worst town for shopping in you can't even get a chemist open early in the morning or late at night AHH

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is this place still on ice??

unfortunately, yes it is.

it looks pretty though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

This place will not open for a long time.
    Sad to say but Longford is a dump so what chance would any retailer have of making enough money to even cover the cost of renting a unit never mind paying staff,buying stock etc.

And before anyone says anything about my comment about Longford being a dump,Im from there so have it on pretty good authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

nedtheshed wrote: »
    And before anyone says anything about my comment about Longford being a dump,Im from there so have it on pretty good authority.

It could be worse - you could live in Castlerea :D I thought I saw work going on at the shopping centre earlier this week? Was I hallucinating? (its been known to happen...)

'cptr

Advertisement