Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

ACCA v ACA

• 21-08-2007 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Interesting discussion on which is better or worse.

As an ACCA you can join the UK ACA, and then apply to the Irish ACA for reciprocal membership. It costs about 700 euro and you do not have to do any extra exams.

ACCA members tend to be older and have varied experience and bring interesting skills and personality types to Accountancy (which was necessary), ACA tend to recruit young school leavers or new grads. I know which type I would prefer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

loveducati wrote:

As an ACCA you can join the UK ACA, and then apply to the Irish ACA for reciprocal membership. It costs about 700 euro and you do not have to do any extra exams.

ACCA members tend to be older and have varied experience and bring interesting skills and personality types to Accountancy (which was necessary), ACA tend to recruit young school leavers or new grads. I know which type I would prefer.

And the point of this un-referenced piece being?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

This topic is so old now. Check previous threads on this subject and you'll find alot of part qualified students squabbling over the which one is better. "My dad is better than your dad"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

loveducati wrote:

How does this work to get a practising certificate? ACCA require 3 years in a ACCA recognised training practice. What does ACA require?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

loveducati wrote:

How does this work to get a practising certificate? ACCA require 3 years in a ACCA recognised training practice. What does ACA require?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

loveducati wrote:

yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

ACA has a 3.5 year training contract (3 years if you have a masters).

Please can we let this topic die! It's basically like comparing apples with... other apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Newaglish wrote:
    Please can we let this topic die! It's basically like comparing apples with... other apples.

How about Accountants Vs Solicitors?

And there'd be no bias here for sure...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 loveducati

The whole point of this post is that if you are an ACCA qualified accountant you can become an ACA, CPA or CIMA accountant by paying ONLY a fee, that tells me that there is basically NO difference between any of the groups.

I am an ACCA, this is just advice to anyone who is qualified, and wants to use the other memberships.

However you must join the UK ACA, and then apply to the Irish ACA for reciprocal membership as the Irish ACA will not give reciprocal membership to Irish ACCA's.

loveducati wrote:
    The whole point of this post is that if you are an ACCA qualified accountant you can become an ACA, CPA or CIMA accountant by paying ONLY a fee, that tells me that there is basically NO difference between any of the groups.

I don't think you are right. First of all, you need to be an ACCA member for five years and then take the ICAEW's FAE. You can't join the ICAEW just because you're an ACCA.

Secondly, when people transfer to qualifications without exams (happens due to reciprocal agreements popular in the EAST), then this qualification is not accepted by other bodies as equal to qualification earned by exams. So, if you became an ACCA due to a reciprocal agreement from, say, a Hong Kong institute, it is unlikely ICAEW would allow you to take its FAE, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Woof

I am ACA. Like other posters said this is sooooooooooo boring. Who really cares what letters you have so long as you know your stuff. I have worked with lots of the differing bodies and there are good and bad in all professions.

But while you are on this subject.... why not just do CPA and then you just do an interview to become ACCA. This is fact! My work collegue tried and failed ACA, went on to do CPA and then ONLY did an interview with ACCA to become a member. She now can legally use the letters ACCA. This was about 3 years ago and I haven't heard of anything changing since. My other ACCA friends are furious with their Institute over this - we all trained and worked together.

Then sure you can go on to become ACA as previous poster said and become........................ Joe Bloggs BA CPA ACCA ACA :-)

• Advertisement

Woof wrote:
    I am ACA. Like other posters said this is sooooooooooo boring. Who really cares what letters you have so long as you know your stuff. I have worked with lots of the differing bodies and there are good and bad in all professions.

But while you are on this subject.... why not just do CPA and then you just do an interview to become ACCA. This is fact! My work collegue tried and failed ACA, went on to do CPA and then ONLY did an interview with ACCA to become a member. She now can legally use the letters ACCA. This was about 3 years ago and I haven't heard of anything changing since. My other ACCA friends are furious with their Institute over this - we all trained and worked together.

Then sure you can go on to become ACA as previous poster said and become........................ Joe Bloggs BA CPA ACCA ACA :-)

ACCA changed this rule. And while they allowed CPA's as members (I also know of one) they were quite rare. Now, you have to pass the final exams to become an ACCA. But, transferring is not new to ACA either, as there are reciprocal agreements in place for ICAI also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Woof

Transfers are in every profession and quite frankly who cares :-)

As I said I trained with all other (except CIMA) members and quite frankly there is absolutely no difference. We all studied, we all sat exams and we all helped each other through them and most importantely we all celebrated :D when anyone of us got through an exam! Thats what mattered to us not the individual letters we each got.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

loveducati wrote:

i take it you are an ACCA then :p

you'll find that in general aca's are higher academic achievers, just thought id throw that out there seeing as you seem to want to put them down.

Advertisement