Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Recommendation Please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The first Return Of The Living Dead is a classic of Horror/Comedy, so definetly check that out. Though you could probably ignore the sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Cheers for that Karl, I actually have that one at home somewhere, ill try root it out tonight.

No bother. Also, if you've not seen it, Bubba Ho-Tep is worth a look.

Yep, have that one too, bought at the recommendation of someone from the film board, very enjoyable flick too. :)

Not sure what else I could mention, I'm not all that up on the more comedy horror films as some others here to be honest. I'm sure Havoc could throw a few more your way.

Have you seen Undead? Pretty odd Australian zombie movie. Not very good, but worth a look.

And now, there aren't quite horror films exactly, more like having horror overtones, but I'd recommend looking at the Korean film The Quiet Family, and it's Japanese remake Happiness Of The Katakuris.

They're fairly different films, so it's a rare time you'll see me recommending both the original film, and the remake. The original is more of a black comedy, whereas the remake is, well... It's a Takeshi Miike film, so it's completely ****ing barmy as hell. Miike took the basic plot, added in some different sub-plots, then threw in some musical numbers, a load of claymation, and more bizarre stuff than you'd find in a David Lynch movie.

• Advertisement

Yep, I have Happiness of the Katakuris too, class film. The other two I will definately look up though. Cheers.

Actually as an aside Karl, you seem to know a lot about the Takeshi Miike film collection, well I was watching The Eye last night (f-ing brilliant film) and one of the trailers was for Takeshi Miike's "Gozu". Trailer seemed good and seems to rate high on IMDB too. Worth buying ?

Yeah, Gozu is excellent. I really enjoyed it a lot, very freaky and sick. Probably his most David Lynch-esque film.

Excellent, ill look into that one too. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0118327/

Check out this company; they make some very enjoyable B-Movies, some of them very poor but some of them surprisingly good. Back in the day I'd have given you a million recommendations but I haven't bought DVDs in a long, long time and have forgotten a lot of what I used to own...and even seen :(

Some great B-Movies that are less then serious would be It's Alive III: Island of the Alive (ignore the first 2 but the third one is hilarious), The Return of the Living Dead III through V are pretty good although I have to say I hated the first two, the likes of Carnosaur and Raptor are Jurrassic Park on a $5 budget and one to watch with the lads for a laugh (although probably not the filmmakers intention in these cases, but you have to laugh at a film so inconsistant where one second the raptor is about 1 meter high the next he's battling a giant crane, all unexplained and even seemingly the characters are indifferent to this sudden transformation :D),

If you liked Leprechaun 'Rumpelstilskin' is an absolute classic.....with lines such as 'Many a blacksmith it must have taken to make this fine carraige' and even 'fcuketh me'.... trust me this is exactly what you're looking for, quality 80's entertainment :D

Can't think of anything else right now which is a shame as I know halfway through the day I'll think of loads....although B-Movie horror/comedy was never something I intentionally looked for to be honest, more B-Movie horror that like I've explained above, turned out to be farcical. :D

HavoK wrote:
    http://www.imdb.com/company/co0118327/

Check out this company; they make some very enjoyable B-Movies, some of them very poor but some of them surprisingly good. Back in the day I'd have given you a million recommendations but I haven't bought DVDs in a long, long time and have forgotten a lot of what I used to own...and even seen :(

Some great B-Movies that are less then serious would be It's Alive III: Island of the Alive (ignore the first 2 but the third one is hilarious), The Return of the Living Dead III through V are pretty good although I have to say I hated the first two, the likes of Carnosaur and Raptor are Jurrassic Park on a $5 budget and one to watch with the lads for a laugh (although probably not the filmmakers intention in these cases, but you have to laugh at a film so inconsistant where one second the raptor is about 1 meter high the next he's battling a giant crane, all unexplained and even seemingly the characters are indifferent to this sudden transformation :D),

If you liked Leprechaun 'Rumpelstilskin' is an absolute classic.....with lines such as 'Many a blacksmith it must have taken to make this fine carraige' and even 'fcuketh me'.... trust me this is exactly what you're looking for, quality 80's entertainment :D

Can't think of anything else right now which is a shame as I know halfway through the day I'll think of loads....although B-Movie horror/comedy was never something I intentionally looked for to be honest, more B-Movie horror that like I've explained above, turned out to be farcical. :D

Ok well I looked through some of my stuff at home and turned up -
    Return of the Living Dead
    Kingdom of the spiders
    Primal Species (IMDB says its Carnosaur 3)

I'm looking into getting Undead & The Quiet Family

Rumpelstilskin looks exactly like what i'm after ill just have to track it down. :)

Anyone have any more for me ?

EDIT - Also forgot to mention that after a bit of research I was getting referred back to the "Bad" slasher movies like -
    Sleepaway Camp
    Slumber Party Massacre

And a series of creature features such as -
    Frogs
    Grizly
    Night of the Lepus

Ill have to track these down too, might as well expand the old horror collection ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Slither is good for a giggle also. The Monster Squad ?

Ah jusus tusky you've dragged up some memories there ! I remember watching the monster squad when I was a little lad, had forgotten all about it up until now, i've definately go to look that one up now too, cheers for reminding me though. :)

Slither wasnt bad either, have that too.

Black Sheep is another good example (seen that though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Calamari Wrestler----just watch the trailer,mental

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aadu5ctkieM

Street Trash----quality 80s splatter(you can get the 2 disc meltdown edition on cdwow for about 20 quid.Well worth it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jYpiGgqT5Q

Zombie Strippers----need you ask more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CKuAWMTySc&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

c - 13 wrote: »
    Ah jusus tusky you've dragged up some memories there ! I remember watching the monster squad when I was a little lad, had forgotten all about it up until now, i've definately go to look that one up now too, cheers for reminding me though. :)

Slither wasnt bad either, have that too.

Black Sheep is another good example (seen that though).

Flight of the dead is supposed to be good too. Aint seen it though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I know it might not seem as cool as its still relitivly new but "the Cottage" really made me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Incabi

Tusky wrote: »
    Flight of the dead is supposed to be good too. Aint seen it though.
    Flight of the living dead?? Yeah its very entertaining,, A good laugh and plenty of zombies, loads a blood and MURDER DEATH KILL lol,lol, , Well its defo worth the watch and you 'll be surprised even if its all on a plane,, lol,

Advertisement