Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA History

Options
  • 21-08-2007 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

i have been planning on going into a job for quite some time that fell through and i have also been accepted into a MA in history im just wondering if anyone knows anyone who took a history MA and what they took from the course, how did it benefit them and what field they know work in?

Im not sure whether i want to take this course for the sake of adding more letters to my name. I want to be sure that it will benefit me in the long run. i now have no career plans set in stone and am open to all possible career options.

any advice would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

i have just accepted an MA in history asweel,like you im not sure why the hell i am doing it.But as my brother says you can never be too qualified.I too would be interested in hearing peoples views on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

I'm coming from a professional degree/Masters/working on PhD so excuse any misunderstood motives.

Unless the postgraduate really excites you, is some important personal goal of yours or advances your professional life then I believe it's worth questioning the point of it. I saw quite a few people working around me the last few years just delaying dealing with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

OP, you seem to be asking if an MA will open up an specific career paths to you that will be closed to you without said History Masters... It won't. People generally do it because they are interested in the subject. If you want to get training for a specific career, I suggest you look at the more vocationally oriented postrgaduate courses like journalism, teaching, social work. Whether the History Masters will be worth doing or not really depends on how interested you are in the course, why you want to do it, and how much work you do during the year.
    Career wise, it also depends on what you make of it and how you 'market' the degree to employers afterwards. Like all humanities qualifications, it will open up all kind of areas to you, but none in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

thanks for feedback. im not going to follow through with the ma. as i said before it was only a back up plan for a career i thought i might have got into but that didnt work out.

i went to college guidance counsellor and he advised me not to go through with it as unless i planned on a career in third level education would pretty much be a waste of time to simply have more letters after my name.

I think im going to take a post graduate diploma in business studies now as i dont feel i would learn new skills doing MA as it would simply be further developing the same ones i learned as an undergrad. I feel that business dip would open new doors to possible careers for me and i would benefit more from doing this course as it would have more of a vocational focus

Advertisement