Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Bruce College(Cork) like?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I was just wondering has anyone got personal experience as to what Bruce College(Cork) is like for repeating the leaving cert? i.e how good the teachers are, the atmosphere etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well they won't be telling you this in the papers but Christians did much better than them in this years Leaving Cert. The average points were higher from Christians this year than from Bruce. 1 student who I happen to know(though I wouldnt be friends with him) got 8 A1s there this year.

I have a 'personal experience' of Bruce, and that was for the famous Kev O'Callaghan for Accounting grinds. He was and still is by far and away the best Accounting teacher in Cork, and probably the country too. He had a class on Monday, 2 classes on Tuesday,another on Wednesday, and Thursday I think,and there was a Friday class, and there was a repeat class, where if you didnt get what he thought you in an area of the course the first time, you could go back for this, and for free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The other student in Christians who got 600 ended up with 7A1s and an A2! Both the 600 lads are total legends....

The people from my year who left Christians to go to Bruce at the start found it alot better but in the end they said they would have preferred to have stayed put because of the general craic and atmosphere at a non grind school. Academically you get out of the LC what you put in so if youre dead set on going to Bruce then fair enough, but its not really a necessity..

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

Cant really talk about Bruce, But I did go to Hewitt College which is at the bottom of the hill, nice and small, good atmosphere, some great teachers and students. Their results this year were excellent and if you are thinking of repeating those are the kinds of things you should be thinking about, not the 'craic' or the laugh ,unfortunately!

I repeated last year in Hewitt, best decision I made. So if anyone would like more info on Hewitt, teachers to pick (or not to), etc... PM me! I'd be happy to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

eZe^ wrote:
    The other student in Christians who got 600 ended up with 7A1s and an A2!

I know and it was so unfair, while the guy who got 8A1s had to do interview after interview that day, it was like the guy who got the 7A1s was paid no attention by Christians. I felt so sorry for the fella who got 8A1s because of it, I mean there was somebody from the Echo up to photograph him and all. I heard it afterwards that even the guy who got the 8A1s said it was so unfair that only he was getting the attention. All he wanted to do was go down town with his friends to celebrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

I can't make my mind up between Bruce and Hewitt.
    Are they both pretty much the same like...

What subjects did you take up for repeating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

*belle* wrote:
    I can't make my mind up between Bruce and Hewitt.
    Are they both pretty much the same like...

What subjects did you take up for repeating?

Shouldn't you have decided by now?? my friend already had her interview for Bruce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

Ya i have had the interviews too....but i just wanted to get advice from those who have repeated there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 michelle5

:DHi Thinking of repeating also would love some help with the decision,Hopefully doing (H) Business studies,Accounting ,Home Ec(O) Maths and taking up (H) Biology Ag Science and Economics.Can only repeat in Hewitt or Bruce to late for school of com.

Advertisement