Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milling your own timber

Options
  • 20-08-2007 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place or Forestry?
    Anyway, idly flicking through a copy of The Woodworker and there is an article on a chainsaw mill called a Logosol LSG, Now I have seen a few chainsaw mills before but they were always kind of homemade efforts, these appear to be quite handy for cutting up logs into slabs and seem to be quite accurate (as accurate as a chainsaw can be!).
    Does anyone here use one or kow of one being used here in Ireland?
    I am just asking because I have 2 downed trees that could be sawn into slabs, an Oak and a Larch the larch isn't very big dia 30cm but would probably make reasonable timber for outdoor use the oak on the other hand is very straight and about 50cm dia and should produce nice timber.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I think the Logosol goes for about 2 grand? Nice bit of kit though.I don't know anybody using one , though I have seen homemade versions.

I have one of these yokes , and at 40 bucks the price is right.

http://www.beammachine.com/

A similar one is made by Granberg ( incidentally their site has some good info on milling your own lumber.)

http://onlinestore.forestindustry.com/scripts/granbergint/G555B.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nice one
    The article I saw was the Logosol LSG which was only €350 or so.
    The biggest cost is the big chainsaw you need to drive a 36" bar!
    I have made contact with a local chap who has access to the ladder and so on but he like me doesn't have a 100cc saw to drive it!

Advertisement