Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amature Weather Predicters

Options
  • 20-08-2007 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

As you may know some chap in Donegal has been over the media like a rash talking about how he is predicting a month of fine weather.

Whats the view on this board? I reckon this guy just looked at the medium term pressure chart, knows that the "shoulder months" are often settled in nature and made his prediction.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I wonder where he was with his stork at the beginning of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

This isn't the guy who was on Ray D'Arcy a few times? I only heard him the once but some of the listeniners texting in weren't too impressed with him. Anyway, his predictions mostly seemed to be rubbish.

For the most part, it's more a sad reflection on the state of media and the rush to fill airtime with any old twaddle that leads to sub-par rubbish like this getting the airing it so patently doesn't deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I know him. Michael Gallagher is his name and he is a postman in Cloghan (about 10km from Ballybofey). He usually gets into the local press in Spring with his predictions for the summer. I'll try to find this years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

To be honest , with the run of wet weather we've had - its getting more and more probable that we will have a settled spell sooner or later unless we've just witnessed a massive climate change this year (not likely)..in fact thats what the charts seem to be trying to do.
    But a month of fine weather..well thats optimistic..but hell we had one in April so why not late August /September..

As to storks and what not..I'm with fatherdougalmag on that one.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd put more faith in Mike's forecasts than this fella's.
    I'm reliably told that Mike's method is to look at exaust fumes out the back of his Audi to determine what the weather will bring*

*May not be 100% true

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heh! :D

I just looked at the medium range pressure chart and know that Sept is often a quiet settled month and then guessed!

Mike.

Advertisement