Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will it last?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

Ok, now that summer seems to be finally starting, *crosses fingers*, would anyone like to predict how long it will last?
    I suppose a proper break would be something like 10mm precip at Birr or Mullingar , not a few light showers or a bit of drizzle in the west.

My own belief is that we will get until the end of the first week of Sept before the Atlantic lows visit us again, say the 6th.

Just a bit of fun:)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hmm the bbc website doesnt fill me with confidence, temps of 16 to 19C for the Dublin region all this week with London not doing much better, not exactly proper summer time warmth, when is this good summer weather ment to arrive??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gonzo unless we get very lucky with the high/low pressure positions you can forget temps much above 20C. Just be glad we are in for about a week of settled dry bright weather. You can't expect much more from this late point.

Mike.

Just had to link this - Its been along time since it had so few pressure lines and some red bits :)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

Mike.

Mornings and Evenings are much colder now , getting dark too!
    I never remember August being COLD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Yes - darker evenings are now much more noticeable. Currently 9.6c here.

Those charts do look nice and dry though!!

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The dreadful Rose of Tralee is on so it if ever a sign was needed that the autumn is here....still we can enjoy temps of around 22 plus this week though with the nights getting longer there'll be a brisk nip in the air.

I'm inclined to ask when will it start! Its overcast and a flipping chilly wind here. Its very March.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I'm inclined to ask when will it start! Its overcast and a flipping chilly wind here. Its very March.

Mike.

On the ball Mike, same here in Cork...where's all the fine weather we're meant to be enjoying...callers to Liveline talking about moving to Australia due to the weather here...I to see their point, even the Oz Winter is better than our Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Warming up from here on in lads, though mornings may be cloudy for some I expect afternoons and evenings could be nice and warm for many.
    The stork said it would be so!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

God Bless the Stork (and thank gawk someone did'nt shoot it first!).

Mike.

• Advertisement

Sunny and warm here in Cork city now, best day in nearly 3 months for chrissake !!! And just in time for when some kids are heading back to school next Monday...typical or wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Anyone care to predict how long it will last.

I'm on holidays from Friday for a fortnight, and staying in the country.:eek:

Can I expect some rays...?:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally a nice sunny warmish day since april, temperatures of 18 to 22C across the country, best day of the summer so far and by no means is it a heatwave, todays weather is what we shud have been getting regularly over the past 10 weeks or so, go's to show how bad this summer has been so im gonna make the most of the next few sunny days while i can!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone care to predict how long it will last.

I'm on holidays from Friday for a fortnight, and staying in the country.:eek:

Can I expect some rays...?:cool:

LRF's are notoriously inaccurate, that said for the last year or so I've noticed our weather tending to hold the pattern for long periods - stormy winter, bone dry April, flooded June and July. When the pattern changes it lately seems to like hanging around.
    I'd stick my neck out and guess for these reasons alone that the chances are we may see at least a week or maybe more of settled weather (cue the rain clouds...).

Got to 21.9°C today , haven't seen temperatures like that since early June here!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Are there any stats on weather patterns for September? My own recollections, probably false memories and wishful thinking :rolleyes: , are that September has tended to be quite a pleasant month and even on occasions surpassed the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote:
    finally a nice sunny warmish day since april, temperatures of 18 to 22C across the country, best day of the summer so far
    Dont forget the 1st week and a half of June;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

and the Award for the *Most Irish Thread ever* goes to.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

(From a weather entertainment perspective)

Sheesh. Bring back the torrential downpours. This settled, cloudy stuff is no fun at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What's it looking like for next week ?
    I'm off to Inishbofin for a few days.

Same time last year first day torrential rain and rough crossing on the ferry,next 3 days sunshine & sunburn !

Last time I went to Connemara we had the great week in June

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

I think next week will be somewhat brighter.

The pressure chart shows the high drifting right over us by this time next week.

Mike.

Note the last panel and the T/H postions, it could get rather warm.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

ughh, going back to school this morning- what is it about september and good weather?? You wait all summer long for good weather and by the time it arrives you're stuck inside a classroom again:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks Mike - looking good for our break on Inishbofin so :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

You're still buying into that Gregorian Calendar hoax. Pfft ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Next week is looking fantastic, sunny days and temperatures reaching the low twenties:D

The beauty of going to college in Trinity, i have a whole month off! Although i really should get myself a job:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

The first post in this thread was on 20th August, and it looks to me as if today will be the first significant break in the weather pattern since then, certainly in terms of getting farm work done.

Its been great, pity it didn't come a few weeks earlier.

yeah looks like this is the first proper unsettled break in the weather since mid-august, it was a great 3 months of dry weather were I could be outside every day. I used the dry weather to get out walk about and do some jogging daily and lost over 2 stone in weight. Today is the first day since then were it's been horrible outside so no going out today except to the pub later on lol. Im hoping the current break in weather is only temporary for a week or so and that the dry weather will resume itself soon:)

Advertisement