Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

737-800 Flambée

Options
  • 20-08-2007 9:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293765,00.html

Everybody safe.
    China Airlines spokesman Sun Hung-wen told reporters in Taipei the aircraft skidded on the tarmac on its way from the runway to the gate after landing, starting a fire that prompted the emergency exit. The eight-member crew also safely left the plane, Sun said.
    "The fire started when the first engine below the main left wing exploded, a minute after the aircraft entered the parking spot," Tamura said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Saw this on the BBC also.

Nasty one , reminds me of the 737-200 that burst into flames at Manchester that time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Ah crap. I thought that this was a thread for the new dessert!:D

Nobody died which is the main thing. I would like to sse the footage though of the engine exploding.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The ITN news mentioned it might be a leak of oil or petrol :rolleyes:

China Airlines have a dodgy safety record in the past they were alleged to not have enough fuel reserves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The beeb actually had footage of it blowing up ... very scary

Yes I laughed when they said it was a possible ' petrol leak ' .... since when did jet aircraft run on petrol !

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

FAA now wants wings slats tested, its possible that a loose wing slat caused the fire.
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Federal Aviation Administration has ordered airlines to inspect wing slats on all newer Boeing 737 aircraft after an initial investigation said a loose part caused a fuel leak and subsequent fire that destroyed a China Airlines 737 last week in Japan.

The FAA issued the directive on Saturday to owners and operators of 783 U.S. planes that have been in service since 1998, but the directive will likely be applied to the nearly 2,300 planes worldwide soon, the agency said.

FAA spokesman Les Dorr said other directives would follow.

"We consider this an interim action," he said. "Obviously we're looking at it, Boeing is looking at it, and if we come up with something better, there might be some other action, but that is to be determined."

Micko is not a pussy and would not ground his fleet for pansy arsed US tests , no sirree .

I would have thought that the standard Ryanair descent procedure would be fairly hard on the oul slats too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

I wouldnt be too concerned about what the FAA have to say.They couldnt tell their arse from the elbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

The FAA had to re-issue the emergency AD as it was not being taken seriously!!

here's a pic of what the problem is;

737_slatcan.jpg

basically the bolt worked loose and wears through the slat can - this picture is taken from inside the fuel tank - so as you can see it is a very real issue!!

I hope dear Michael checks his fleet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

electric69 wrote:
    I wouldnt be too concerned about what the FAA have to say.They couldnt tell their arse from the elbow.

Sure the couldn't,they have been only looking after aviation matters for well yonks.

you are right,you know much, much more.

Well done son,well done indeed,you know more than the FAA:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Sure the couldn't,they have been only looking after aviation matters for well yonks.

you are right,you know much, much more.

Well done son,well done indeed,you know more than the FAA:rolleyes:

I take it you have decades of experience? Im not even going to attempt to show you the amount of sh!t the FAA have caused simply because their rules are stupid and dangerous. I also presume you live/have lived over here for a number of years and know what you are talking about? And if you did, then yes you would agree.thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sorry,got it wrong there.

I should have realised that a 21 year old knows far more than the FAA,who have only been regulating aviation matters for decades,and are qualified and experienced in the diverse administration of aviation in the US.

Of course they don't have a clue,sorry for going off topic .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dont think Micko has the resources to check them all in 10 days flat like he is supposed to .

from the advisory
    We
    have determined that the appropriate compliance time for this inspection is 10 days after receipt of this
    new AD.

Advertisement