Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting: Westmeath to Dublin

Options
  • 19-08-2007 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have given up on the idea of buying a house in Dublin and i have decided to move to Westmeath. There are 3 main areas i am house hunting in (1) Rochfordbridge (as its handy for commuting) (2) Collinstown and (3) Castlepollard (as i have friends there and there are organsiations i can join/get involved in). Just wondering if anyone here commutes from these areas, what mode of transport is used and how long does it approximately take. I used to do Tyrellspass to Dublin for a good while on a Monday Morning and did it in an hour and a half (before the motorway/bypass). I work in Dublin City Centre.

Comments

I can do Athlone to Tallaght in one hour twenty-five, BUT only if in leave in the next ten minutes!

If I reach Lucan before 6:45 then the remainder of the journey is fairly free flowing, anything much after that then it can easily take one hour to get from Lucan to Tallaght.

Tyrollstown to Lucan 45 mins at a guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The road linking Castlepollard to the N4 is quite poor. I would not like to have to drive that road on an icy winter's morning. Not sure if that road is gritted or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thats a dreadfully long commute... try and avoid something like that if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Lucan or Citywest would be a reasonable commute but beyond that will be tricky.

I have the same idea myself but won't even consider it until prices of property in these towns hits the floor. Prices have been dropping already in most of these commuter villages but they are nowhere near finished dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,252 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Seriously consider somewhere with a train.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If I were you, I would avoid buying a house altogether as the Irish property market is now in a state of collapse. The commuter towns and villages will also be hit the hardest by the crash, especially places that are smaller and/or have no/poor public transport.

If you must buy in a commuter belt location, pick a sizable town with a good rail link to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

What about future rail links? Buy now, before the prices increase when the rail line is built.
    Check out http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/projects/dunboyne_commuter_rail.asp
    The map is at http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/images/pdf/dunboyne_Scheme%20drawing_.pdf

Might help a little in your thought process

Advertisement