Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are banks reliable for remibursement after fraud?

Options
  • 19-08-2007 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi everyone,

just discovered today that my laser card had been attacked somehow and there is a 1300euro transaction pending on it. I rang AIB 24 hour banking and cancelled the card at once but they could not tell me where the transaction took place as yet OR if there was a likelihood of getting the money back! I am very careful to check my balance regularly and never have laser transactions amounting to this in one go - so they should know something is amiss. just wondering if this has happened to other people and if they have been reimbursed after filling in the forms? my worry would be that because i'm not a huge spender or big customer in their eyes (recent grad) - would they be diligent about getting my money back?
    any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I seen a debit on my card I didn't remember. So went into my branch,filled out forms and girl said it would take at least 6weeks to query it...They will send me out in post the recepit from the place as it was POS (Point of Sale) and either my pin was used or a signiture....

Afaik I will be reimbursed if it turns out to be a mistake or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

This happened to me a couple of months ago (PTSB was the bank).
    They wouldn't give me any details about the transaction at all and refused to tell me what the story with getting the mney back was. Eventually i got the mobile number of the bank manager and plagued him until he followed it up himself. I also threatened to move my mortgage which probably helped!

As it turned out the money was refunded by the "shop" without the bank doing anything. I'm not sure why and i still have no idea who or what the shop was. PTSB told me it takes 45 days to investigate and they would follow up with me after that. That was in June and i haven't heard a word about it since. I'm not sure what would have happened if the shop hadn't refunded it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 nansus

Hi

I had a similar problem earlier this year . I am with Ulster Bank.

They were very efficient. Money refunded within approx 12 days

Be sure that the problem is reported in writing to the banks fraud section.

Your bank should be able to tell you where , when, and how the transaction took place.

I was able to contact the recipient (a bookmakers) and close an account opened in my name with my card and number.

Nansus

Advertisement