Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this worth pursuing?

Options
  • 19-08-2007 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'd really like to have internet access in my apartment while Im in Dublin during the week but at the moment Im a bit too strapped to buy a laptop.

I do have access to an old '98 Sony Vaio, which is a bit slow but probably OK.

Is it worth getting some sort of card for this and internet access? My flatmate has the portable Vodafone internet on his which is ok. Would it be worth me getting, say, Irish broadband and a card for the laptop. Anyone got advice on this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I have a machine with windows 98 on it. Works fine for surfing the web.

It is a 1999 era gateway with a 666MHZ P3 processor. I use the ethernet card (wired) that came with it.

If it is windows 98 second edition it should support USB ports, you may have problems getting 98 drivers for modern cards.

Never tried to connect a 98SE machine to the USB 3g modems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Extranjero

The laptop seems to be fine an 19.99 a month for 3G internet seems fairly painless but the problem is both the internal card product and USB one they offer require Windows 2000 or XP and I'm running 98.

Advertisement