Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pigeons around??

Options
  • 19-08-2007 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Shot 63 yesterday afternoon, despite the rain, over freshly cut grain. Seems to be a lot around? Anyone else doing a bit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

yep bags of 29, 69, 44, 96 (pissed i didn't get the 100) over the last 10 days..
    Plenty around alright, now if I can just the the cartidge to hit ratio down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Yeah we deffo should have had 100 in the bag but a 4:1 ratio doesnt help!! I cant hit a barn door when I have to shoot from sitting in the hide. What were you shooting over? Stubble? In Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

alan123 wrote:
    Yeah we deffo should have had 100 in the bag but a 4:1 ratio doesnt help!! I cant hit a barn door when I have to shoot from sitting in the hide. What were you shooting over? Stubble? In Galway?

Flatten oats and Barley.. no stubble yet. should have plenty of good shooting this weekend as most is being cut friday\saturday i'm told...
    heading on holiday on monday..:( taught everything would be well cut by now.. who would have predicted such a wet summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

coooo Can I help you ?

coooo

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

so does anyone else eat the pigeons ye shoot? or do ye just dump them ??

if there are any fresh ones going, might be interested in some !!

• Advertisement

Eat a few, get rid of the rest. I dont think the post man in Cork would be too happy if I sent some down!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

How big were the ones that got away?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

alan123 wrote:
    Eat a few, get rid of the rest. I dont think the post man in Cork would be too happy if I sent some down!!!

i can imagine the blood seeping out of the parcel !!:D

well i would drive to collect if ye were not too far away

Leupold wrote:
    How big were the ones that got away?

Funny you should ask... they were the biggest! and it was more like a thousand than 100!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

was out yesterday got about 30. it was on the only barley field cut for miles around. it was cut friday but their still feeding. didnt bother eating any for myself this time. dropped them off to an ould lad in town and kept a few for the ferret. the little beast loves the pigeons breasts

• Advertisement

If you need convincing that pigeons do damage....
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1281241,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

alan123 wrote:
    If you need convincing that pigeons do damage....
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1281241,00.html
    Bush will now declare war on pigeons! :D

Went for a walk at 6pm and shot ten, all flighting to roost I reckon. There are a lot of young ones around and the grain was cut on Friday in most areas. My ratio went down thanks to the RIO 32grm.

Would it be ethical if I bought the racing pigeon times in Easons and set up a hide under a race route!!!!!!!?

Shot about 70 today between two of us, a steady trickle of birds in over the stubble, the masses of them sem to have buggered off somewhere? There is a lot of food around also I was shooting a field that has been heavily shot over the last 3 days. A lot of pigeon shooters and not a lot of land!!

A great roost shoot this evening, 60 in the bag and a bunny. Post the picture Showandgo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I normally take the breast,(less to carry)
    cut into thin strips, lightly fried with pepper sauce, new spuds (Queens) and brocolli/runner beans.

If you really want to get fancy, mushrooms with it.(freshly picked as you ramble through the fields) if not TESCOs' finest

Disposable stanley and a couple of freezer bags are always in my shooting pocket.

Just ate a few, fried with onions, then eaten in a bread roll with Ballymaloe relish. Im not taking many home as they are covered in blue bottles where I shoot. Anything shot more than twenty minutes has eggs on it and anything over an hour has eggs all over it! Gross!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

There are 45 in the picture, and we estimated about 15 fell into hedgerows that we couldn’t retrieve.
    The shooting was great, plenty of variety, more so than if the birds were coming into a decoy pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

alan123 wrote:
    Just ate a few, fried with onions, then eaten in a bread roll with Ballymaloe relish. Im not taking many home as they are covered in blue bottles where I shoot. Anything shot more than twenty minutes has eggs on it and anything over an hour has eggs all over it! Gross!

Wash off the eggs with vinegar and they're fine.

macnas wrote:
    Wash off the eggs with vinegar and they're fine.

Which tastes worse.. the vinegar or the eggs!!!!!! No way. maggot eggs=bin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i bring a plastic bag with me and cut off all their breasts in the field and take them home with me for me and the ferrets. leave the carcasses in a bush nicely placed and it gives the foxes some dinner too and nothing is wasted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cmd17hmr

christ lads use the meat atleast, even for dog food its a horrid waste to throw good birds away that sombody else could use,
    cant say i never done it,its usually only do it if the birds are riddled beyond use or a bad shot on a rabbit that tore the meat apart.
    buy a good mincer

Advertisement