Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales v Argentina 2.30pm

Options
  • 18-08-2007 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

hopefully some decent rugby on today, with both teams at more or less.

It's live on BBC as well. Should be interesting to see what Argentina are like.

Wales: 15-Kevin Morgan; 14-Dafydd James, 13-Tom Shanklin, 12-Gareth Thomas (capt), 11-Mark Jones; 10-James Hook, 9-Dwayne Peel; 8-Alix Popham, 7-Martyn Williams, 6-Johnathan Thomas, 5-Alun-Wyn Jones, 4-Ian Gough, 3-Adam Jones, 2-Matthew Rees, 1-Duncan Jones.

Replacements: 16-T Rhys Thomas, 17-Gethin Jenkins, 18-Will James, 19-Colin Charvis, 20-Mike Phillips, 21-Ceri Sweeney, 22-Jamie Robinson.

Argentina: 15-Federico Serra; 14-Lucas Borges, 13-Martin Gaitan, 12-Felipe Contepomi, 11-Ignacio Corleto; 10-Federico Todeschini, 9-Agustin Pichot (capt); 8-Gonzalo Longo, 7-Juan Fernandez Lobbe, 6-Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 5-Patricio Albacete, 4-Ignacio Fernandez Lobbe, 3-Martin Scelzo, 2-Mario Ledesma, 1-Rodrigo Roncero.

Replacements: 16-Alberto Vernet Basualdo, 17-Santiago Gonzalez Bonorino, 18-Rimas Alvarez, 19-Martin Durand, 20-Nicolas Vergallo, 21-Manuel Contepomi, 22-Horacio Agulla.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Intercept try, poor pass from Alfie lets Corleto in for a Puma try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Lovely reply from Wales good break by Hook and Thomas is in for the try. Pumas scrum is looking as strong as ever

AW Jones gets a try from a quick tap penalty. Match is sort of reassuring to us to know that we wont have any problems going up the middle against the Pumas come September

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Junior

Wales gone over for a second try now...

Man that was a cringefull try on the Pumas part *shudder* they all keep bloody slipping on the pitch and forcing knock ons! Hopefully this match will widen soon

• Advertisement

Jesus Argentina don't seem to have to turned up at all and now down to 14 men. 21-7 to Wales.

Pumas down to 14 men, dangerous tackle while the player is in the air

Might as well watch the middlesex 7's at this stage

Thought I might actually be inline for a good game today, I think I've got some paint I can watch dry.

Stev_o wrote:
    Pumas down to 14 men, dangerous tackle while the player is in the air
    Shocking tackle, deserving of a red imo.

Argentina have been poor.

• Advertisement

ah it was bad but then again iv seen worse and still not have a sending off. http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=cvOkOw4Nn3U&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Frugbydump%2Eblogspot%2Ecom%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpercy Thought Zabbo you said this would be a decent match :rolleyes: Hopefully things might change come the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How strong an Argentinian side is this? Not be any means an expert on Argentinian rugby, but it looks like a pretty strong side, performing woefully with nothing out wide worth worrying about.

Bodes well for us imo.

Heh, it should be good, maybe the second half can get better :)

Argies don't have the combinations in the backline.

I'd consider dropped Dr. Phil back to 10.

Inquitus wrote:
    How strong an Argentinian side is this? Not be any means an expert on Argentinian rugby, but it looks like a pretty strong side, performing woefully with nothing out wide worth worrying about.

Bodes well for us imo.

Basically the Pumas 1st squad with some changes and of course missing Juan Hernadez [however he spells his name :P] IMO he does offer ALOT to them considering he's the best 15 in the world. Not to mad have Contepoeni at 12 and possibly get Manuel on.

To be honest i think its more of them not playing against a top end side for a while and just adjusting playing together. Remember that most of these players like the Ireland squad havent got alot of game time with each other and also unlike most countries ALOT of these players DONT play together at Club level there are very much scattered between various French and English Clubs.

Stev_o wrote:
    Basically the Pumas 1st squad with some changes and of course missing Juan Hernadez [however he spells his name :P] IMO he does offer ALOT to them considering he's the best 15 in the world. Not to mad have Contepoeni at 12 and possibly get Manuel on.

To be honest i think its more of them not playing against a top end side for a while and just adjusting playing together. Remember that most of these players like the Ireland squad havent got alot of game time with each other and also unlike most countries ALOT of these players DONT play together at Club level there are very much scattered between various French and English Clubs.
    But the Irish XV have the advantage of 1-10 more or less playing for Munster and 11-15 playing for Leinster.

They do look very scattered though, and Hernández would offer a lot more at FB (even if he wants to be a FH)

zabbo wrote:
    But the Irish XV have the advantage of 1-10 more or less playing for Munster and 11-15 playing for Leinster.

Yeah that was exactly my point :P maybe i typed it wrong or something but thats what i meant. The only advantage i can think of that the Pumas would have against us and France is that they have key players who play for key clubs on both sides that are in the SH/FH position. I know it isnt much but believe me they will have the knowledge of how both teams like to flow so maybe they ll work on somehow exploiting that

Pumas score a fantastic try from a poor Wales clearance. They could start to get going here

Bloody hell their waking up now. Great work from Dr. Phil should have ended up with a try though. He really should be moved to 10 for the rest of the match

Dr. Phil looks fooked, big hit from Charvis, he's dazed and off

exciting end to this.

Ah man thats a harsh end thought the Argies would pull it off:( one thing i admire of them is they never gave up. Decent match will look forward to their next friendly.

Next up England and France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

zabbo wrote:
    Dr. Phil looks fooked, big hit from Charvis, he's dazed and off

exciting end to this.

At least he can write himself up for something to get rid of that wee head ache.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I didnt see the game, whats the verdict? Should we be worried or really worried?

Based on this game we shouldn't be worried in the slightest, but it was their 1st outing and doubtless they will improve alot. Pretty much nothing out wide, bit like watching England tbh.

Inquitus wrote:
    Based on this game we shouldn't be worried in the slightest, but it was their 1st outing and doubtless they will improve alot. Pretty much nothing out wide, bit like watching England tbh.

You cant say that now. Pumas were MUCH better go second half they came on alot to go from 3 tries down to pull it off to the point where most people thought they had scored the drawing try at 90 minute. If anything they can get better given the fact they will change things around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

I have this funny theory and it goes like this: I think Ireland will beat Argentina comfortably. I believe Ireland wil not beat a classy French side but I think the Argies will cause France numerous problems. Its quite a weird little love triangle and this group could come down to points difference or whatever way its decided.

Stev_o wrote:
    You cant say that now. Pumas were MUCH better go second half they came on alot to go from 3 tries down to pull it off to the point where most people thought they had scored the drawing try at 90 minute. If anything they can get better given the fact they will change things around.

Wales are beyond poor, Argentina came back well in the second half, but if we are at our best we are 20 points better than Argentina. We are better at lineout time, better in the loose and beyond comparison out wide.

Just my thoughts.

If we don't get sucked into a forward battle we have it won, we may struggle at scrum time, but everywhere else we should be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Crumbs, that was like watching grass grow, neither team showed any sort of spark about them. A friend has been trying to convince me that wales has a chance, i think after today that is stumped out.

Advertisement