Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Gateway PC

Options
  • 18-08-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could help me - my parents have an old gateway pc - when i turn it on - if won't open up window - says it can't find some file - i have all the disc etc we got when they originally got the pc - its about 9 yrs old now

anyway - i can't seem to find any customer support line for gateway pcs - are they gone - were they taken over by someone?

there are old files stored on the pc that i need to transfer to my own laptop

any advise - who could i bring the pc to - to get it up and running again?

any help appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I'd say bring it the antiques roadshow!!!

Probably best to go to "Tech" - "Computers" Forum.

But in reality it would probably be best to get a second hand pc for which you'll pay less than €200 and which will have more up to date software and possibly modem attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

M007 wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone could help me - my parents have an old gateway pc - when i turn it on - if won't open up window - says it can't find some file - i have all the disc etc we got when they originally got the pc - its about 9 yrs old now

anyway - i can't seem to find any customer support line for gateway pcs - are they gone - were they taken over by someone?

there are old files stored on the pc that i need to transfer to my own laptop

any advise - who could i bring the pc to - to get it up and running again?

any help appreciated

thanks

Gateway do still manufacture, I've seen their laptops in the UK and America. Don't know if they have any presence in Ireland though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wouldn't it be easier to take out the Gateway Hard drive, connect it to another desktop, take the files off and then transfer them to your laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

At this stage it will cost more to repair than replace.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Forget Gateway - they're an American-only company as far as we're concerned now. No support. No warranty. No nothing. They no longer have any Irish presence and are not subject to Irish law.

If the files are important and you don't feel up to the job of connecting the harddrive to an external enclosure or as a 'slave' drive in another PC, take it to any PC repair shop. It's a simple task for them to retrieve all the files off the PC and they should be able to do it for reasonable amount.

Ask in Comp forum and see if you feel you can do it yourself, though.

Definitely take this as an opportunity to upgrade your parents computer. If it's a Gateway it had a lot of 'quirks' that your parents can do without and a replacement that's newer and/or faster will be very cheap. If they were prepared to drop a couple of hundred on a new PC, Dell could set them up with a good one. And since they're not pulling out of the Irish market anytime soon (:rolleyes: ) your parents will have someone to contact if things go wrong for a few years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Agree, forget Gateway. I have probably one of the last computers made in Ireland and when I went looking for Tech support they didn't even have the serial no. on their database.
    Get a new one. Dell have some pretty good offers on basic Pcs, probably not much more than you would pay to have it repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

I wouldnt bother though with a 9yo computer

Advertisement