Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cartridge (and money) missing

Options
  • 18-08-2007 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Can anybody advise on a suitable "budget" cartridge for a Linn Sondek LP12 with Linn Ekos arm as the cost of Linn's recommended cartridge is more than my car is worth ? (In 1990 when I bought this setup I was still single !)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

SidinNaas wrote:
    Can anybody advise on a suitable "budget" cartridge for a Linn Sondek LP12 with Linn Ekos arm as the cost of Linn's recommended cartridge is more than my car is worth ? (In 1990 when I bought this setup I was still single !)
    I'd suggest you talk to Cloney Audio in Blackrock (Dublin), but off the top of my head I'd suggest a Sumiko Blue Point. LP12s are notoriously fickle decks so a "service" might be in order too.... balance, tracking etc.
    Big thumbs-up for keeping vinyl alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SidinNaas

Many thanks for the response.

Just spoke to them with a bit of apprehension regarding service costs but €100 to service and fit my cartridge is great news.

Can now spend up to 5/600 on cartridge and won't have to consider parting with the LP12 and look forward to making the 104/2s rock again soon.

Any more cartridge advice welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

SidinNaas wrote:
    Just spoke to them with a bit of apprehension regarding service costs but €100 to service and fit my cartridge is great news.
    That's very good value, it'll be like a new turntable again. Their TT guy is something of a genius! They'll recommend compatible cartridges too.
    I've just bought a Clearaudio Solution with an RB250 arm, Clearaudio Virtuoso cart and rewire by Clearaudio themselves from Cloney for relatively little money... gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Thats a very nice deck you've got. As for 100 for including fitting, thats very cheap for that deck. I just bought an ortofon om-10 for my Dual cs505-3 on ebay and it came to 33 euro, its a decent cart, but at 33 it was cheap. You should find out what type of cart they're going to fit, because you're deck is the best of the best of the mass produced decks out there and carts range in price from 10 to 1000 euro. Its not hard to fit a new cart and if you were to spend 100 on a cart off the net and fit it yourself you would be getting a very good one indeed. Check out www.diyaudio.com for info on carts etc.... bear in mind that of your 100 euro 21% is vat and after that probably 30 is going on the fitting.
    /edit/ just reread, 100 for fitting a 500 euro cart is decent enough, spent 500 on my first system!

Advertisement