Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a lawyer after a non-law, arts, degree.

Options
  • 18-08-2007 7:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

I am a 3rd-year UG in TCD, and wondering if anyone could tell me how one becomes a lawyer after a BA, either through further education or not. Is it possible, for ex., to be trained by a firm if you go to work for them? Or would you need to take time off and do a course? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

There are a number of ways, depending on what branch of the profession you want to enter. Below is a summary, you'll need to investigate the fine details yourself.

As a graduate, to become a solicitor you need to pass a set of exams, known as the FE1s, to gain entry to the law society's educational program. Check out www.lawsociety.ie for information.

To become a barrister, you have to gain entry to the King's Inns to do the one year BL degree. You generally need a law degree to do so, but can instead do the 2 year part time diploma course at the same institution to, for all intensive purposes, make your non-law degree into an eligible one. More information at www.kingsinns.ie.

There are, I believe, a number of institutions that offer courses preparing you for either option, chief among them (I hope I'm doing a competing institution a disservice by saying that) is Griffith college. www.griffithcollege.ie

Advertisement