Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FOX HUNTING (guns)

Options
  • 17-08-2007 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

This seems to be a very touchy subject in here
    I've had one poll deleted and "threatened" with banishment
    So heres the question whats your views on fox hunting (with guns!!!)
    Im personally against it but would love to find out the views of others
    Reasons why they do and don't
    So first of all
    Yes or No to fox Hunting

ohh i mean with guns

Do you agree to Fox Hunting??....................(with guns) 59 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Woohoo...............First voter :D Saw the last post and you were unfairly thretened there with the ban. Mods with power trips and slippy banning fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

Thanks Dancor
    You'd swear i mentioned an MCD gig or something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I voted yes. Foxes are designed by mother nature to be nasty pieces of work. In no way are they cuddly or huggable. They eat peoples pets, their hens, ducks, geese. They damage and destroy farmers livestock (and I'd put real money that you don't give a toss about farmers either) such as lambs, the aforementioned fowl and also cattle. They do as mother nature intended them to do, then again so does malaria.

Disagree with the above if you like, I don't really care, but it's 100% true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I voted yes as well. I don't actually hunt foxes now, but I've done so in the past at farmers request where lambs were in danger.

Up until relatively recently (pre euro days), if you walked into your local Garda station with a foxes tail you were paid a £5 bounty.

Never tried it myself, but could offend the sensibilities of random citizens, in getting their passport photos stamped :D

Cute and cuddly doesn't cut any mustard with me regarding foxes. I've seen the damage they do and it's not pretty. They also kill without need for food which puts them outside the pale of normal predators.

Dogs btw aren't much better when they get a taste for blood. They can kill indiscriminately without ever trying to eat their victims.

There now, got that off my chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

pajodublin wrote:
    This seems to be a very touchy subject in here
    I've had one poll deleted and "threatened" with banishment
    So heres the question whats your views on fox hunting (with guns!!!)
    Im personally against it but would love to find out the views of others
    Reasons why they do and don't
    So first of all
    Yes or No to fox Hunting

ohh i mean with guns

Pajo, you really need to get over yourself. You were given good reasons as to why your post was snipped and you don't seem to think they were good enough for you.

Newsflash. This forum has rules, if you want to poll the people here about something, no problem, but read the rules first.

It's hardly too much to ask that you explain your poll to the people you want to get answers from.

Or are you just too lazy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

A fox."Armed with the jaws of a shark and the morals of a psychopath." [Jeremy Clarkson].There is nothing cute about foxy loxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

johngalway wrote:
    I voted yes. Foxes are designed by mother nature to be nasty pieces of work. In no way are they cuddly or huggable. They eat peoples pets, their hens, ducks, geese. They damage and destroy farmers livestock (and I'd put real money that you don't give a toss about farmers either) such as lambs, the aforementioned fowl and also cattle. They do as mother nature intended them to do, then again so does malaria.Disagree with the above if you like, I don't really care, but it's 100% true.

Agree 100%. Not forgetting they are also being researched for the spreading of bovine neosporosis. Yes gets my vote too.... Roll on October....

TJ911...

Trojan911 wrote:
    Agree 100%. Not forgetting they are also being researched for the spreading of bovine neosporosis. Yes gets my vote too.... Roll on October....

TJ911...

I did forget, even though I'm helping by collecting foxes as well as yourself I presume :D

CG, I read Clarksons book, split myself laughing. Especially the David Beckham bit, pity it wasn't Posh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

johngalway wrote:
    I did forget, even though I'm helping by collecting foxes as well as yourself I presume :D

Indeed I am, but haven't shot one recently. BTW how is that new gun of yours fairing up?

TJ911...

Trojan911 wrote:
    Indeed I am, but haven't shot one recently. BTW how is that new gun of yours fairing up?

TJ911...

Five out of five so far, seems to group well too. Not yet put 100 through it so it'll probably settle down more after 200+ rounds. Am happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

johngalway wrote:
    I voted yes. Foxes are designed by mother nature to be nasty pieces of work. In no way are they cuddly or huggable. They eat peoples pets, their hens, ducks, geese. They damage and destroy farmers livestock (and I'd put real money that you don't give a toss about farmers either) such as lambs, the aforementioned fowl and also cattle. They do as mother nature intended them to do, then again so does malaria.

Disagree with the above if you like, I don't really care, but it's 100% true.

:D Agree with all thats said here.:D
    Iv shot a good few in the past;) , they do a nasty job of poor wee lambs them foxes.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I shot a lot in Australia - for the National Parks and wildlife - they mostly poison there using 1080 poison - its not a pleasent way to go- some Animal rights lobbies want to stop poison preferring shooting instead.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/stories/s298586.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Lads are we talking running them down with dogs until they are too exhausted to move anymore and then shooting them or setting up with a call and luring them in shoot? I personally don't find the use of dogs in this manner to be very sporting.
    As to the shooting of foxes in general, no problem with it. I used to hunt grey foxes myself back in the States. They're not easy to call in and stay hidden from long enough to get a shot off so actually taking one requires a good bit of skill (or luck!!) and as somebody else mentioned already, they are destructive to domestic animals and harbour all sorts of nasty parasites.
    My .02

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Trojan911 wrote:

TJ911...

Never shot one, I kinda like to see one when Im about (no more than I admire a pheasant then shoot one a few days later). I think they are a nice addition to the countryside.
    As a shooting forum I dont think any posters should take issue with shooting any animal as long as they use the right equipment and act responsibly? If you have a problem with shooting wildlife and viewing such pictures..... log off!!

(whats in October?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Lads are we talking running them down with dogs until they are too exhausted to move anymore and then shooting them or setting up with a call and luring them in shoot? I personally don't find the use of dogs in this manner to be very sporting.

i 100% agree with you on this i also voted yes, i live between 2 large sheep farmers and they lost a lot of lambs to Fox's 2 years ago, they gave me permission to drive there land and shoot these fox's, last year i shot 12 just on there land and killing of the lambs has almost stopped.

alan123 wrote:
    Never shot one, I kinda like to see one when Im about (no more than I admire a pheasant then shoot one a few days later). I think they are a nice addition to the countryside.
    As a shooting forum I dont think any posters should take issue with shooting any animal as long as they use the right equipment and act responsibly? If you have a problem with shooting wildlife and viewing such pictures..... log off!!

(whats in October?)

Are you f****ng serious.
    I should log off because i dont believe in shooting animals.
    Fair enough, the majority of people here do, but i have not damned anybody for doing it and i hardly think someone is going to stop just because i say so.

This is a shooting forum and shooting is what i do. I choose not to shoot animals due to a personal belief. So dont tell mne to log off just because your too far up your own arse to give a dignified response, you Arsehole

pajodublin wrote:
    ...dignified response, you Arsehole

:D:D:D:D:D

Pot. Kettle. Black.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You're also in breach of the forum charter, again, "No flaming, trolling or personal abuse".

I'd give it a week before you get yourself thrown off.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Nice! Sorry Pajo I didnt mean to hit a nerve!!!! I simply mean, why would someone against shooting animals log onto a forum where guys (and gals) talk about shooting animals??! I dont log onto an anti bloodsport forum and post about shooting!! That would only be stirring it!

Im not into the whole rifle/pistol range thing, but I dont start anti rifle threads..... because Im not here to knock anyone.

Furthermore, I dont log on to hear why shooting animals is bad so I wont be visiting any more threads like this, take a leaf out of my book!!!!

I wasnt here trying to rise trouble. i was just here to see what peoples opinions are. im not here to preach about anti-hunting.

You want to hunt go ahead and hunt, i just personally woudnt do it. i understand people that its to save livestock etc. im not slagging people off for hunting.

all i wanted to do was see peoples opinions and ive been slagged off and threatened with banning AGAIN...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

Not good Pajodublin, there is no need to be so abusive!

Why does someone who doesn’t shoot animals because of a personal belief, post a poll about shooting foxes on a shooting forum???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

all i wanted to do was see peoples opinions and ive been slagged off and threatened with banning AGAIN...

Be fair you weren't threatened with a ban this time you were merely told that if you break forum rules you would be gone in a week. This poll is a touchy subject for some because despite your intentions (which I have no reason to doubt) it could be taken as a slight against fox hunting (yes yes with guns :D)

Anyway I voted yes, I have no real interest in doing it myself but I can understand the reasons of those that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭fits

pajodublin wrote:
    you Arsehole

In fairness, this is a banning offence pajo. You're gone as soon as a mod logs on I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A lot less than a week. Seriously paco, this is a subject that's barely within the forum's remit (you're asking if foxes should be shot, the forum is more concerned with how to shoot foxes), and it's one that has been abused by the likes of ICABS and their supporters in the past; if you're going to get into it, stay civil.

Though frankly I think After Hours is the better place for this sort of thing which is why I moved the first poll on this there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Pajo banned for 1 week, PM me to lift it at the end of your time. That kind of language directed at other members is not acceptable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

ShowAndGo wrote:
    Not good Pajodublin, there is no need to be so abusive!

Why does someone who doesn’t shoot animals because of a personal belief, post a poll about shooting foxes on a shooting forum???

ok i know he/she is banned for a week but id love to hear his answer to the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

TROLL IN DISGUISE, me thinks !!!!!:mad:

Mods can we do a poll on banning him forever ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

TROLL IN DISGUISE, me thinks !!!!!:mad:

Mods can we do a poll on banning him forever ?

No

Rew wrote:
    No

Rew that's one vote against, Sparks ?;)

Only joking, don't want to incurr wrath of Mods and be proclaimed a Troll:D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I voted No - I very rarely shoot a fox - unless I'm asked by a farmer.
    I think it's a complete waste - but that's just because I get a lot lot more pleasure out of hunting them with the lurchers terriers and hounds.

• Advertisement

thelurcher wrote:
    I voted No - I very rarely shoot a fox - unless I'm asked by a farmer.
    I think it's a complete waste - but that's just because I get a lot lot more pleasure out of hunting them with the lurchers terriers and hounds.

Each to their own.

I don't begrudge others their type of sport. We all have to stand together as a fox hunting ban will affect us all

Advertisement