Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair Receipt

Options
  • 17-08-2007 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I had to get my mobile repaired which cost €120.

When I went to pay for the repair I was told it was €120 for the repair and it was €160 if I wanted a receipt!!

I was in a hurry at the time so I didn't think twice about it and I just paid €120.

Surely it's illegal asking for €40 for a receipt to show that the work was done!?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A recipt should be provided regardless!!

€40 for a receipt is Robbery and they should be reported!!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

prob done the job for cash -no vat -if you wanted a reciept they would have had to put it thru the books and do the decent thing and pay the vat to the revenue -plus declare the rest for income tax rsi etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm more curious to what you went to get done at such a price! Personally the repairs I've done (replacing some cabling and speakers of the phone etc.) usually cost me around 40 euro mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Could have easily cost that much if the screen was to be replaced.

Where did you get the repair??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Yep - this is almost certainly a tax scam. If you had got the mobile back into your hand, you could have told them that it is €120 for repair with receipt and a phone call to Revenue Commissioners, or €80 for repair, receipt and no phone call.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's not just a tax scam, it's a tax scam scam. 21% VAT on €120 is €25.20, so they're charging another €14.80 over and above the VAT rate. I wouldn't report most people for doing business for cash, but these cowboys deserve it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey all,

Sorry I'm only getting back to everyone now.

I got it done in a shop in Dungarvan, Co.Waterford.

Someone asked why the repair was so expensive, it's a Nokia 8800 and is expensive to repair. I dropped it so it wasn't covered under warranty.

So can I demand a receipt from them or where do I stand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

jamieh wrote:
    Someone asked why the repair was so expensive, it's a Nokia 8800 and is expensive to repair. I dropped it so it wasn't covered under warranty.

So can I demand a receipt from them or where do I stand?
    Sure, pay the full price including taxes and you can get a receipt.

Sounds to me like they were trying to do you a favour by not putting it through the books.

They didn't charge you the full amount & pocket the difference. Obviously they are willing to provide a VAT receipt for anyone who is VAT registered and can claim it back.

Bad business practise of course, as they're leaving themselves open for prosecution. They should have just charged you €160 in the first place.
    dahamsta wrote:
    It's not just a tax scam, it's a tax scam scam. 21% VAT on €120 is €25.20, so they're charging another €14.80 over and above the VAT rate. I wouldn't report most people for doing business for cash, but these cowboys deserve it.
    If they're a limited company, they're liable for corporation tax (10.5%?) on their profits as well as VAT.

Advertisement