Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged goods

Options
  • 17-08-2007 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I hope this is the right board for this but I need advise.
    My girlfriend got the strap on her watch changed yesterday. She did in the same jewelers where I originally bought the watch for her. Anyway, she got it back and that evening she noticed some very bad scratch marks around the area where the strap is attached. I looked at it myself and they are very noticeable and some quite deep (obviously caused by some sort of tool).
    Now, she went in today to explain the situation and they just fobbed her off. Said, it could have happened anywhere. What can she do? It obviously happened at the jewelers and the marks made on the watch are around the strap, probably where it was clamped or held by something.
    Any advise is much appreciated.

Regards,
    Bacchus

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Bacchus wrote:
    It obviously happened at the jewelers and the marks made on the watch are around the strap, probably where it was clamped or held by something.
    Big jump of conclusion there. You don't know what they did at the jewlery neither does the jewlery know what your girlfriend works with.

Anyway try to speak to a manager and ask for a replacement of the damaged part (most likely turned down by the manager) followed by small claims court if it is worth the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I did this kind of work for years. If you show a pic of the damage, and of course how the strap/bracelet fits, it would give me an idea of what they had to do to change the strap, and whether the damage was definitely caused by them.

Im not saying this happened in your case, but often people examine their items much more closely on collection than they did beforehand, and notice marks that were there prior to repair, which they hadnt seen before.

I always was aware people have a deep seated suspicion of jewellers... who are reputed to remove jewels from watches* etc. :rolleyes:

*they dont :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

KtK wrote:
    I always was aware people have a deep seated suspicion of jewellers... who are reputed to remove jewels from watches* etc. :rolleyes:

*they dont :D
    There goes my idea for a retirement plan :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey, thanks for the replies. As regards the damage, the scratches were most definitely new and deep, not just a small mark. I know it's a jump in conclusion but it's obvious to me what happened. The strap is a tricky one to replace (hard to describe, just have to trust me) and most likely some amount of force is needed to get the new strap in which is how the damage happened. I can tell myself by where the marks are that it was caused by this. I know it's all ifs and buts but :-) that morning it was fine, that evening it wasn't and my girlfriend was doing nothing more than walking around town wearing it.

This is all a mute point now anyway. The jewelers repaired the damage after some persuasion from my gf so alls well. Thanks for the replies.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thats an ideal result. Glad all is well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Bacchus wrote:
    The jewelers repaired the damage after some persuasion from my gf so alls well.
    How do you repair a scratch? Was it on glass or metal or on the strap itself?

Advertisement