Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax break for public transport?

Options
  • 17-08-2007 9:58am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Iv heard that you can claim back against tax for the use of public transport to and from work is that true?

I've heard of schemes where the employer buys the tickets and takes it out of your wages and you get the tax break that way but currently I buy the tickets my self.

Any info appricated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

See here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/public-transport/public_transport_commuter_tickets_and_tax

Basically your company pays for the tickets as a direct element of your salary or a benefit in kind. In return the cost is not liable for either PAYE,PRSI or Employers PRSI.

For example your salary is 40K at the moment. Under the scheme your new salary would be 39,750 with 250 in travel tickets. You would only pay Tax and PRSI on the 39750.

Your employer benefits by having a slightly reduced Emps PRSI liability and you benefit by not paying tax and prsi on your transport costs.

The scheme does require your employer to pay for the tickets up front and a change in your terms and conditions to acknowledge the tickets as an element of your remuneration.

Hope that makes sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Tahts perfect, I was looking all over revenue.ie for it cheers.

Wont get the money back on existing recipts though which is ****...

Advertisement