Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saffers Scrape Past Namiba in RWC Warm Up

Options
  • 16-08-2007 1:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like we won't have to exert ourselves too much 6 days before the French game. :) Sound like the Namibians tackle pretty hard all the same. Stiches required for two Saffers.

Rugby: Montgomery racks up record against Namibia
    8:47AM Thursday August 16, 2007

South Africa 105 Namiba 13

CAPE TOWN - Fullback Percy Montgomery scored a South African test record of 35 points as the Springboks romped to a 105-13 win over Namibia in a World Cup warm-up match at Newlands on Thursday (NZ time).

Montgomery, playing his last test in South Africa, surpassed the previous record of 34, scored by Jannie de Beer against England in the 1999 World Cup quarter-final in Paris.

He scored a try, kicked 12 conversions and added two penalties to take his career test tally to 756.

Flanks Juan Smith and Schalk Burger both scored a hat-trick of tries as the home team ran in 15.

Eleven different players scored tries for the Springboks as they surpassed a 100 points in a test for the third time in their 101-year history.

South Africa lost skipper John Smit to a strained hamstring a few hours before kickoff so Gary Botha came in as hooker, with Bismarck du Plessis promoted to the bench. Lock Victor Matfield was given the captain's armband.

The Springboks simply overpowered their southern African rivals after Namibia scored the opening try of the match from a 65-metre intercept by wing Bradley Langenhoven.

After a physical opening 19 minutes, South Africa began to wrest control of the match when Smith touched for the first of his tries.

Four minutes later, wing JP Pietersen scored and from then on it was a steady procession towards the Namibian tryline.

The try of the match came when Montgomery called for a mark under pressure. He took a quick tap and freed centre Jean de Villiers, who swapped passes with Pietersen, before putting in a well-weighted cross kick for fellow centre Jaque Fourie to run on to.
    Veteran prop Os du Randt, playing in his last test on home soil, scored the opening try of the second half to the loudest cheer of the match.

Despite the scoreline the game was aggressive with both sides administering some big tackles. Burger and du Randt both needed stitches while centre De Villiers limped off the field with five minutes remaining.

South Africa 105 (Juan Smith 3, Schalk Burger 3, Jean de Villiers, Jaque Fourie, JP Pietersen, Os du Randt, Percy Montgomery, Ashwin Willemse, Bismarck du Plessis, Ruan Pienaar, CJ van der Linde. Montgomery 12 cons; 2 pens) Namibia 13 (Bradley Langenhoven. Emile Wessels con; 2 pens).

- REUTERS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danie Gerber

Yes, and I heard Jean de Villiers is going to be out for a couple of weeks so not good news for Boks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

pretty misleading title to this thread I would hardly consider racking up over 100 points as scraping past an opponent

for a minute there I thought we were in a bit of trouble :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    pretty misleading title to this thread I would hardly consider racking up over 100 points as scraping past an opponent

I think thats the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

sorry its hard to detect sarcasm in a thread title :)

Advertisement