Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anybody identify this token?

Options
  • 16-08-2007 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I've been looking through my late father's coin collection lately, and I'm curious about this one.

It either says Ceddy's or Teddy's (and the same on the back) I would assume it was a token for a pub/bar/club, etc. I'm assuming it was a place in Dublin, but that's just me assuming. It could be from anywhere really (There was also a French phone token in there, as well as a lot of foreign coins, obviously)

Apologies if the image is not clear enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 backdraft102

I hoard things like crazy and have some bits like that where you could never tell where it was from, like a campsites shower tokens so I note most things I have for posterity. Even my photos have a description on the back ( written lightly so it doesn't come through the paper ).
    Your coin is definitely domestic with no identifying coin traits. And I'd go with Teddy's over Ceddy's.

If you have any idea where your father would have travelled or if your mother can't shed light on it, try to google the name with some extra keywords depending on what your dad liked to do, say like "Teddy's + pub + snooker" or "Teddy's + campsite + snooker" and see if anything pops up.

You have just as much chance as finding the key as you do meeting a brick wall but the challenge is in the looking. I have an old wooden box with the inscription " Fred Booth, 1899" that my dad passed on to me years ago and I've tried to narrow it down to no avail.

Johmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Hey, thanks for the post! :)

My mam has no idea where any of my dad's coins/tokens came from. He never travelled past Blackpool in his life, so my mam suggested maybe it was from some amusement arcade there. Maybe, maybe not.

A google search for "Teddy's pub" or "Teddy's Hotel" which I think are the most likely answers only brings up a famous celebrity bar in Hollywood which has been open since the 20s. Probably isn't from there, but stranger things have happened.

Interesting nonetheless. Like you said, it's fun trying to figure out the little mystery.

Advertisement