Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite symphony?

Options
  • 15-08-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

After seeing the Beethoven Symphony thread, I'd thought I'd put this up to see what people thought in general. What's your favourite symphony, and why?

I'm a big fan of Symphonie Fantastique and Beethoven 7 but for me, it's hard to beat Tchaik 5 (although I think that's probably a rather unusual choice). Its pompous and arrogant with some great melodies and a superb finale.

What's your favourite Symphony? 18 votes

Haydn 94 (Suprise) or 104 (London)
    0% 0 votes
    Beethoven 5 or 7
    5% 1 vote
    Beethoven 8 or 9
    22% 4 votes
    Schubert 8 (Unfinished)
    16% 3 votes
    Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique
    0% 0 votes
    Tchaikovsky 6
    16% 3 votes
    Mahler 8 or 9
    11% 2 votes
    Mozart 35 to 41
    5% 1 vote
    Dvorak 9 or Ives 1
    22% 4 votes
    Other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Sibelius: Symphony #5

Also Beethoven's best symphony is #3 and it's not in the poll? He even said so himself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Probably Van's 3rd, but as it's not on the poll I'll go with the Mozart 40 and 41. Though it was a close call.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think I'd have to go with Mahler 8 Symphony of a Thousand.

Such a totally mad piece of music, plus I really enjoyed performing it back in May, a hard sing but well worth the effort. Though I quite like a lot of his symphonies as they're a bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cerulean

I'll always say Beethoven's 3rd.

I think Haydn's London symphonies are great, though obviously quite different in style and scale to later composers' works - of course it was Beethoven's 3rd that changed everything...

I see Sibelius getting a well-deserved vote for late inclusion; here's one for Bruckner - monumental rough-hewn slabs of music best served on an amp that goes to 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

Mahler's 5th and 9th would be mine. Sheer brilliance both of them, but in quite different ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

cerulean wrote:
    I'll always say Beethoven's 3rd......... - of course it was Beethoven's 3rd that changed everything...

Changed everything alright. Which makes it a most important work. As well as a very good one. But that doesnt mean it wasnt subesquently improved upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GerryM

Dvorak's New World, Beethoven 3, 5, 6 7, and 9!

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Philip Glass, Symphony No. 2.

Ahrrrghhh! I love it!

Although, next month I might turn around and say something else. Music is great that way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

currently Mahler's 4th/ Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique/ Beethoven's 3rd & 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

No favourite really. The one that 'hit' me hardest was Penderecki's 3rd. Never gets old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Beethoven's 3rd. Hasn't changed since my OP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Tis the next month aaaaaaand.....

Its now Philip Glass's 3rd Symphony. :) (With liberal amounts of Justin Timberlake...)

Good lord... Its exactly a month to the day! :eek:

I swear I'm not neurotic about this or anything... ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The list on the poll is far too limited. For my purposes, the two which were missed and which should have been included are Prokofiev's 'Classical' Symphony and Saint Saens' Organ Symphony which is a masterpiece.

As far as Beethoven is concerned, 7th does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Beethoven's 9th for me followed by 3,6,7,5 and Mozart's 40 then Schuberts 8th damn there is too many good ones I am going to stop in fear I'll leave out a masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lemminkainen

My favourite Symphony is:

Symphony no.6 by Jean Sibelius.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

After the NCH on Friday night I'd say Beethoven's 5th, even though Carlos Kalmar left his fermata in the foyer of the Conrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Close call between Mozart and Haydn, had to go with Haydn by a narrow margin! But every one of the symphonies by both composers are wonderful...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Calina wrote: »
    The list on the poll is far too limited.

Limited number of poll options!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Beethoven's 3rd (Eroica) - just awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Mahler 2, Mozart 41 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I love Symphonie Fantastique. Especially March to the Scaffold.
    Even though its on my Leaving Cert. course... :p

Advertisement