Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Luas - "Hey you with the Headphones"

Options
  • 15-08-2007 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭

“Hey you with the Headphones”

Luas drivers today launched a “Hey You with the Headphones Safety Campaign” asking pedestrians and cyclists to take out their headphones from their ears and listen for the chimes of the Luas instead.

People in Dublin are familiar with the Luas and many pedestrians and cyclists are relaxed around it however Luas drivers are calling on people to be more alert.

To date this year there has been 13 incidents involving the Luas and pedestrians.

In most cases pedestrians were wearing headphones and were distracted. They did not hear the tram horn or chimes.

Eddie Byrne, Luas Driver and trainer made an appeal particularly to young people “to stop, look and listen before crossing the tram track. Recently a cyclist in the city centre broke a red light and was unable to hear the warning horn of the tram as his ipod music was so loud. Hitting the tram he sustained a minor injury but it could have been fatal. Our appeal and campaign is to ask people to stay alert at all times around the Luas. Safety is our No.1 priority, we have a good track record and we want to keep it that way.”

For further information please contact:
    Dervla Brophy
    Communications Manager
    Veolia Transport

113.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How about, "Hey you, obey the rules of the road!". Maybe that'd be more effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Look out, here comes the big Darwin machine".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Anyone stupid enough to plough into a tram should have to pay for the damage to the tram and make good the costs/lost revenue that the tram operator picks up as a result of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Maybe the powers that be will legislate to make wearing headphones while out pedestrian-ing illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭constellation

Stark wrote:

You mean "the Intelligent Design machine", of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Ah, now lads! While I have a good deal of respect for public transport workers, I am not quite ready to worship the tram driver as the manifestation of a civilisation improving higher being.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Hey I use headphones every day. I also use my eyes. Who navigates crossing traffic using only their ears anyway? (I'm assuming normally blind people don't walk around with headphones). That's a rhetorical question anyway I know there are some pretty stupid people around. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Who navigates crossing traffic using only their ears anyway?

Why would anyone navigate traffic using only their eyes? You don't have them in the back of your head after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Zoney wrote:
    Why would anyone navigate traffic using only their eyes? You don't have them in the back of your head after all.
    Luckily i discovered I'm able to rotate my body and neck in order to get around that problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Tbh it strikes me that Veolia/RPA seem to be adopting the TfL style of advertising which tends to be reasonably eye-catching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,041 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if it had been intellegent design there wouldn't be the split between the red and green lines, the line to the point would have been done initially too....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Stark wrote:

LOL :D

Advertisement