Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute Wexford (town) to Dublin

Options
  • 15-08-2007 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone does this commute? I am between jobs and was thinking about trying for temp work in dublin. Is it doable short term? I haven't done the trip at peak times but it seems that since they joined up the N11 to the M50 that has become madness up there...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

In the evening rush hour (ie from 16:30 til 18:30/19:00) there can be congestion outbound on the N11/M50 from where they meet to the Fassaroe exit and again at Kilmacanogue.

Driving into Dublin in the morning requires patience and if the only route you know to Dublin city center is the N11, I wouldn't bother! It's not so bad at the moment with kids on holidays, but come the end of August or the start of September, it's hell. Consider instead driving to Gorey/Arklow and taking a communter train instead. A lot less stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

hows it going?

I do screen to city centre daily.. used to be screen to by the airport but I nearly went mad doing that one after a year.. I used to go around the entire M50 twice a day at rush hour but ended that insanity & found something a few mile closer to home lol.

It all depends on what time ye are travelling & where you are going?..

I wouldn't go anywhere past bray in the car after 7am now.. I drop the car off & take the DART myself or catch the train from Gorey some days..

You may be better off going up R741 to Gorey than N11.. ferns is a bit of a mare & I've measured both from Wex town & I always got there quicker on the 741.. may be different now bypass is open..

If you've any sense you wouldn't do it though.. It'll turn you into a working shell of a person that hates other drivers & wants to sleep at 9pm ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭chamar

Thanks for the replies - it would only be a short-term gig - not something I would do for more than a couple of months.

Regarding catching the commuter from Gorey - is there anywhere to leave the car there? How much does it cost?

yep there's parking around the station, few spaces & all the way up the street either side until the car part place. Streets around don't have parking restrictions as well. I've never been stuck for space including the time I arrived within seconds of the train going. It's about 17 euro return.. u can get the ticket on the train as normally the office closed in the morning. first one leaves around 6 next around 6:40 ish.. timetable is online on the rail website. The returns are around 5:30 from Connoly & 6:30pm.. the 6:30pm is the rosslare train that goes to wex town but not much point if like me if you have to leave the car at gorey.
    Ticket guy reckons 2 new trains soon one around 7am & one earlier one around 4:30pm. Will be sweet if the 7am one is from Wex town. I'm assuming that's in sept when they roll out the new trains

be warned return journey will be jammers till at least Greystones so get on at connoly if you can.

oh & if you are gonna be working near one of the DART stations that the commuter doesn't stop on just get out at bray & wait a couple of minutes & jump on the next DART. Same the other way , I often get the DART to bray from the city centre & pick the commuter train up there as it's less packed by then & I can mostly get a seat on the DART but no chance on the commuter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭chamar

I see - I'm actually surprised that there is parking round there - i would have thought there 'would be an awful lot of commuters trying to dump cars in Gorey. Good to know anyway, as there is not much biting down here in Wexford. There seems to be plenty of temping in Dublin, although it will be rough with all the travelling!

As for an early train from Wexford - I wouldn't hold your breath!

Thanks again,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If you are going to be travelling 4 or 5 days a week then a Weekly Giant Hop commuter ticket at €69 would be cheaper than. It is valid south from Dublin as far as Gorey on Rail, Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

first one leaves around 6 next around 6:40 ish.. timetable is online on the rail website. The returns are around 5:30 from Connoly & 6:30pm.. the 6:30pm is the rosslare train that goes to wex town but not much point if like me if you have to leave the car at gorey.
    Ticket guy reckons 2 new trains soon one around 7am & one earlier one around 4:30pm. Will be sweet if the 7am one is from Wex town. I'm assuming that's in sept when they roll out the new trains

There will be an extra train about 16:30 from Connolly to Gorey note in particular this train will not stop in Bray. This extra train will run starting sometime in the Autumn.

There is no extra morning Gorey Dublin service indicated in 2007 beyond the 6:00am added this year. New trains on the Rosslare line are on hold until the signaling and some associated platform works are complete. Gorey suburban services will remain operated by commuter railcars

Advertisement