Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deer cull

Options
  • 15-08-2007 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

can anyone help with this one? a friend i hunt with all the time has been approached by a farmer whom we shoot pigeons for and he said that he has a problem with deer on one of his holdings. he told us that he has been in touch with an coilte about the deers and they said that it was within his rights to have them shot as they are causing him problems for whatever reason so he has asked us can we doit for him when the season begins.. my question is that neither of us have a deer license and to cull the deer for this man does a deer license have to be held or becuse you have the consent of the landowner are you allowed to hunt without the license on just that land. to be honest i dont know too much about the way this works as i have never hunted deer before but my friend has done on occasion with other hunters and im just wondering where the law stands on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need a Deer license to hunt and kill deer regardless of whether they are on your land/s or anyone elses.
    One point is that the registered owner may not have the rights to shoot the deer, even if he/she owns the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

thanks cj. i was thinking you'd need a license no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

If the deer are on your land, you have the right to shoot them if they are causing damage etc. For this purpose it is necessary to have a section 42 licence if you are to shoot them out of season and is usually for a niminated area, for a nominated time and for a particular hunter. Not sure what the story is if you are doing it in season.

Your best bet is to get in touch with the Deer Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

stevoman wrote:
    thanks cj. i was thinking you'd need a license no matter what.

& a suitable calibre of firearm, .22-250 minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

hi there,,firstly you say coillte have sad he is with in his rights to shoot the deer, coillte have no say other than what happens on there,our lands.the guys to talk to are ,,wildlife rangers in your area.you also called the farmers land a. holding,,,does he have the sporting wrights on it,,?.mind ow you go on this one regards jw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 am i bovvered?

jwshooter is spot on there.Anyboby with a licence and invitation from the land owner can cull them in season.OP mentioned that they were causing a nuisance whereby a special licence to cull can be obtained from the department,not hard to get either with the numbers of deer in the country at the moment.

Advertisement