Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single mother needs advice.

Options
  • 14-08-2007 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,
    okay while this is not about be per say it is about a friend of mine. She's a lone parent who has a daughter of 5. The father (if he can even be called that) left the day amy was born and has not been heard of since.

She has brought her daughter up for the last 5 years without any kind of help, and i would like to point out that she has battled severe depression whilst doing so.

Recently she had to give up work as she couldn't afford child care and travel expenses and so she is now on the lone parent allowance.

I've been able to root out information on most of her legal entitlements and these range from fuel and esb allowance to a subsidized telephone. While these are a great help to her she's worried about her T.V license. She has NEVER strayed on the wrong side of the law and the idea of holding a T.V without a license scares her.

Can anyone tell me if he is entitled to a license or even a grant towards one?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

The Yikes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

There was link to information on the RTE website, which led to DSFA
    person who is awarded any one of the Electricity/Gas Allowances is entitled to a Free Television Licence from the next due renewal date of his/her current Television Licence. The Electricity/Gas Allowance award letter has a detachable Free Television Licence, which remains valid as long as the applicant continues to receive the Household Benefits Package.
    Free Television Licence (Only) Entitlement
    An Electricity Allowance cannot be allowed where the applicant's electricity account is not billed under the domictic Two-part Tariff. A Natural Gas Allowance can not be allowed where the natural gas supply is also used for business purposes, without being separately metered.
    However, if the applicant otherwise satisfied the conditions for getting either allowance, they will still qualify for a Free TV Licence (only). Application should be made using form HB1.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

[edit] My semi-educated guess was wrong - I stand corrected [/edit]

I know most homes probably have 2 - but a TV is not one of life's essentials (food, light, heat, shelter, clothes) and the child's future will not be dependent on it (unlike a half decent education). There are a lot of people with worse worries than the cost of a tv license and it is certainly not the end of the world if you don't have a tv.

In fact, I would argue that growing up without a TV would give her daughter a better chance of developing into a grounded, intelligent, articulate young adult. (Not that I'm saying your friend is a bad parent - but I know a number of people who either didn't have a TV when they were growing up or lived in 2 channel land and they are, without question, some of the most intelligent, interesting people I know).

For what it is worth, I am in an 8 year relationship with a girl who had a 3 year old son when I met her. So I have no prejudices against single mothers and I know there are many who are nothing like the stereotype some people complain about. Your friend sounds like one of the good ones by the way - I'm sure in no time she'll sort something out that suits her needs a little better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ditch the TV and get membership to the local library for the child.
    Sure all the news you want is on the radio if she's worried about missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Guys, It's not as if mum can go out every night with a 5 year old to look after. Maybe the TV is for her.

I ditched my T.V. a couple of years ago but the only time I go home is to sleep. If I was at home more often, sure I would read more, do more painting (as I'm always promosing) but sometimes your brain is tired or sometimes you really want to watch a film. I can go to the cinema. A mum on limited income can't get out so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Interesting doc
    http://welfare.ie/publications/loneparent.pdf

I've asked some people in the know to find out for me, I'll post back the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Sorry OP

If you are under 66 years of age and getting a One-Parent Family Payment you are not entitled to a Free Television Licence.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/extra-social-welfare-benefits/household_benefits_package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi OP

As a single parent in a very similar situation to your friend I think I need to clarify a few points about the lone parent allowance, I have raised my child alone with no maintenance since he was six months old, he is nearly ten now and I have had lone parent but also worked at times as well, I am currently in college. I will outline what your friend is entitled to but also to let her know that she can afford her TV licence on the money the government give because I have been able to, it is not easy but then I wouldn't expect it any other way but I can assure you she can afford it if she doesn't waste money on magazines, takeaways, etc plus as her child is under the age of six she also gets a €1000 per year towards childcare (this is for anyone who has a child under 6 regardless of income, it is tied in with the children's allowance) I didn't get this when my son was in childcare but was still able to afford my tv licence, basically I buy one or two TV stamps a week and throughout the year I have my licence paid (they come in increments of €4 - the price of a magazine) also if she is worried about how to budget accordingly she can get advice from MABS. Okay breakdown of entitlements:-
    She is not entitled to subsidised ESB, telephone or TV licence or any other service charges eg: bin collection, water rates and so forth, they are only applicable to pensioners.

She should get approxiamatley €207 per week for her and her child and from April to October she will get an additional either €12 or €15 per week for fuel, known as a fuel allowance. At Christmas she will get an extra one week payment (that is a double payment - usually at the beginning of December). If she is renting property she will also get a rent allowance but this paid by the Community welfare service not the Lone parent department based in Sligo so she will need to go to her local health centre for that (I think that is the procedure, I haven't claimed that for years so it may have changed). Additionally if she has a fire or some awful event like that she may be entitled to a one off payment but these are only paid in extreme circumstances. When her child goes to school she will be entitled to a back to school clothing allowance payable once a year, which is €180 paid between June and September. I think that is it. Also if your friend decides to go back to college or adult education she can do this and retain her benefits and may qualify for a training allowance/a third level grant and in the case of 3rd level education she will get a one off book grant of €400 (I promise she will need it). I do think that single parents are in my opinion well provided for here in terms of retraining and education so maybe she could use this time to update her skills. Also if she decides to work part time she can keep all or some of her benefits depending on how much she earns but her rent allowance (if she gets it) will be affected, same with the back to school clothing allowance, that is also means tested (ie: based on current income). I nearly forget she will also get a medical card that covers all medical expenses (except for the odd one) and limited dental and optical treatments (the very basics).

Advertisement