Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL cold calling on a Sunday

Options
  • 14-08-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

NTL rang me on Sunday trying to sell me their new Phone package. Was very surprised to get a call on a Sunday on my mobile, they blocked their number so did not know who was calling.
    I know the consumer credit act means people cannot be contact you on a Sunday - can you be contacted on a Sunday/bank holiday without giving permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

I'd say get in contact with the Data Protection Commissioner - they look after this type of stuff.

All mobile telephone numbers should have automatically added to the National Directory Database (a 'do not call' list) when it became operational. Maybe you slipped through the net, or filled in a form and didn't tick the opt out of marketing box. NTL have to tell the DPC where they got your number and why they thought it was okay to ring you.About the NDD/marketing calls

Didn't know the 'no-calls-on-Sunday' thing was a hard and fast rule, though - learn something new every day!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think the OP might be thinking of debt-collection when I see that he's quoted the credit act.

This practice of telemarketers blocking their numbers needs to stop.

Simple solution: Dont answer private numbers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Yes Debt collection companies can not ring on a Sunday was wondering if the same for Telemarketers.

I am an NTL cust so that is how they have my number, not so much annoyed to be rang just on a Sunday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

NTL have been doing this to me too. Same thing, a private number comes up on the mobile. I answer and it's some indian call centre. It happened a few times, I said no thanks etc. and then the last time I answered and they said "hello is this Mr. Murphy", I just told them no it wasn't and they had the wrong number. Stopped after that.

A very funny ploy a colleague told me is to answer and pretend you are a detective inspector from the serious crime squad and say that the caller has reached a crime/murder scene and start questioning them as to how they got this number, do they know the deceased, have they ever contacted them before and will they make themselves available for a line up? Be worth a giggle! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've had NTL ring me about 8 times trying to sell me their phone service, twice I've told them to put me on there do not call list

By god if they ring me again I'm going to abuse the hell out of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Luckycharm wrote:
    Yes Debt collection companies can not ring on a Sunday was wondering if the same for Telemarketers.

WTF, you mess the company around by not paying your bills, and then they can't call you on "The Lords Day" trying to get you to pay. If you don't pay they should be able to hound you down.

(Note; From reading the OP's post I don't think their post was with regard to collections so it's not direct at them but in general)

Advertisement