Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Return Policy

Options
  • 14-08-2007 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭

Dunnes Stores is in the process of changing their policy on shop returns. Soon you will only be offered a store credit note instead of your money back on exchanging something and if you return an item after 1 month with proof of purchase you will have to chose an item of the same value in store on the spot. It's started in some Dublin stores and soon it will be nationwide.
    One of the things I've always liked most about Dunnes is their easy returns policy. I think this will change the way I shop there . I know somebody who got caught out after buying a school uniform for her son that wasn't suitable.It was featured in the Independent last week too.Just thought that I'd pass it on because money back refund has come to be expected in Dunnes of all places.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Problem is Dunnes and other stores have had dreadful theft problems. Main issue recently was people buying an item and then going back in, thieving the same item looking for a refund.

Its epedemic particularly in Dublin. New Look have changed their security systems here due to the problem being so much bigger than UK.

And when someone gets caught they come up with a cock & bull story to the courts and are gioven a slap on the wrist despite having 100+ previous convictions.

I believe the change in Dunnes will also lead to change in all other retailers as it has been costing retail millions in recent years - and it simply leads to higher prices!

The policy is still beyond what they are legally obliged to provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

A friend of mine was in a Dunnes branch in Dublin a while back during a sale. The changing ooms were closed as they wouldn't refund items that had been bought on sale (unless it was within what the customer was entitled to under their statutory rights). This is major sharp practice, whatever can be said about their refund policy previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Donald Fagen

Sounds like a good plan, TBH. I can never understand why doddering idiots would buy something they don't actually want anyway, and try to get a full cash refund. Because if it's a genuine purchase mistake, they can still swap it.
    All this will eliminate is the indecisive idiots in the customer service queues - right on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is all very well if Dunnes have extensive changing room facilities in their stores. If not, they are looking for trouble.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_bb_c_0_43673031_1/203-1653393-1749565?ie=UTF8&node=43698031&no=43673031&mnSBrand=core&me=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM

Marks and Spencer can manage it, why can't these other operators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Is this new Dunnes policy for stuff that they aren't obliged to exchange/refund (e.g. "I changed my mind") or for stuff that they are obliged to exchange/refund, e.g. faulty goods?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

I fail to see how this change in policy will prevent dishonest people intent on getting a cash refund simply damaging the goods and claiming stat. right to refund for unmerchantability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Nala wrote:
    Is this new Dunnes policy for stuff that they aren't obliged to exchange/refund (e.g. "I changed my mind") or for stuff that they are obliged to exchange/refund, e.g. faulty goods?

Presumably just the change of mind stuff as they cannot opt out of the provisions of the statute regarding faulty goods in any case.

Advertisement