Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fobbed Off By Burtons

Options
  • 13-08-2007 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

I just tried to exchange a belt I purchased 2 months ago at Burtons. It would work itself lose enough that I kept having to readjust myself and retighten it.

The assistant said that Burtons won't take the belt back as they wouldn't be able to re-sell it. I suggested that they probably shouldn't sell it as it does not appear to be fit for the purpose intended. I was told that, because the belt was bought 2 months ago and had been worn, there was nothing they could do.

I was fairly annoyed, as I really wasn't expecting any hassle. You'd think that staff would have a good handle on consumer rights. I contacted the company and was told to go return the goods again and, if I encounter any trouble, to have the store person phone the customer service number.

I'm going to avoid shopping there again.

EDIT: I posted this, not only to 'vent' my bad story, but to alert people to the fact that they may received unnecessary hassle when exchanging/returning items at this store.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Are you going to take their advise & bring it back again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I want to know why it took you two months to decide that the belt wasn't working properly. And I can see the point of Burtons of not taking it back, I'm assuming the belt does work but doesn't suite your body shape if it worked for 2 months then you decide it it not right you its not really their problem and is it just your opinion that it's not right?

What next a button comes loose on your shirt from reasonable wear and tear you bring it back.

I think 2 months is too long a time to return an item of clothing after it being worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

The buckle mechanism is of the type that has a metal bar that slides over and pinches the belt material. The buckle seems to be allowing the material to slip through more often/easily now than it did while new. I may not have noticed sooner as I don't use the belt very often; some of the trousers that I would wear a belt with are much heavier than others - should that matter?

I don't think that 2 months is too long a time to expect a belt to perform its task.

I will return them but I'm not going into town for that reason alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

first AIDS and now this. Damn you jebus!!!!! Damn you to hell

They are actually a bad place for this. I know as my mother got a pare of shoes that broke after 1 week. She went back with my dad and asked to exchange for another pair . They cause a big fuss and said because they were worn they were not going to exchange them, not only that but they called security and the security gards stood over my parents to intimidate them. Oh and my parents are in their 70s !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the shop assistant was wrong. you weren't bringing it back because you didn't like it, you were bringing it back because it's faulty. the issue of being able to resell it only comes into it if its an unwanted gift or something.

the goods should be of merchantable quality and they weren't. if you bought a washing machine and it broke you wouldn't be turned away because they can't resell it. the same applies for belts

Advertisement