Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curragh, historical links...

Options
  • 12-08-2007 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hello...

I have a friend visiting me from the UK in September and she said that she would like to visit the Curragh as it was where her Great Grandfather worked during some war, i dont know anything about history so i was wondering of anyone knew what went on there, and what is there currently to go to visit, because as far as i was aware the Curragh was just the racecourse, but apparently theres a village too, shows how much i know...

Would really appreciate any help on this...

Thanks...

History Head

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'm afraid I cant help you much, but the Curragh is, I would imagine, better known for its military history in the past and present. The camp was established in the mid 19th century(?) and has continued to grow. The camp is a vast complex, spread out over a large area of the
    Curragh plains. Not sure what there is to see in the way of museums/visitor attractions, not sure if there are any to be honest.

Interesting though to walk around the lands of the camp and see the old pill boxes, trench remains and some of the older redbricked buildings (some in bad condition unfortunately).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Someone over on the Military forum might be able to help, if you try posting your question over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Thanks Rovi, ive posted the question in the Military forum so if the Mods want to delete this thread, feel free...

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Head wrote:
    Hello...

I have a friend visiting me from the UK in September and she said that she would like to visit the Curragh as it was where her Great Grandfather worked during some war, i dont know anything about history so i was wondering of anyone knew what went on there, and what is there currently to go to visit, because as far as i was aware the Curragh was just the racecourse, but apparently theres a village too, shows how much i know...

Would really appreciate any help on this...

Thanks...

History Head

This book will tell all.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Most-Delightful-Station-British-1855-1922/dp/189825608X

Advertisement